Wel­come, Guest
User­name: Pass­word: Remem­ber me

TOPIC: [Sug­ges­tion] OneNote Com­pan­ion File

[Sug­ges­tion] OneNote Com­pan­ion File 2 years 11 months ago #3659

Hey guys, long time no see. I’ve been absent and work­ing on my own games, deal­ing with other stuff, what­not. This game hasn’t left my mind though, and I greatly want to get back into it.

To come back to my largest com­plaint by far — the layout/​organization/​structure of the book — I think I may have a solu­tion that could work for all par­ties. I under­stand not want­ing to rebuild the book, I under­stand the tremen­dous amount of work that would entail. I under­stand the expense involved, and so forth. I can also tell by the num­ber of fan-​made addi­tions to the game (flow-​charts, com­bat cards, etc) that there is a lot of infor­ma­tion that needs to be ref­er­enced quickly, and the book can be some­what unfriendly at times.

That being said, I think OneNote might be the solu­tion the game needs. To be clear, it will still entail a good deal of work, but it’d be largely sim­ple work that wouldn’t require any real exper­tise, but rather just time. It would be a lot of copy­ing and past­ing, mostly, as well as some­one to struc­ture things as con­ve­niently as pos­si­ble.

If you’re not famil­iar, OneNote is a free app Microsoft puts out that you can use to orga­nize notes, doc­u­ments, pic­tures, and other infor­ma­tion. You can cre­ate “Note­books”, each with tabs for “Sec­tions”, and each of those with tabs for “Pages”. Here are some pic­tures of a fan-​made OneNote file for Dun­geons and Drag­ons: imgur​.com/​a​/​r​93​l​D

In my short time using it — just since last week — it’s proven itself to be immensely supe­rior to any other setup for RPGs. With games like these, you need to access infor­ma­tion quickly. You need to jump back and forth from one piece of infor­ma­tion to another, and PDF book­marks just don’t cut it. A wiki is nice, but requires inter­net access, is not nearly as quick, and is much more dif­fi­cult to set up. A hard­copy is some­times bet­ter than a PDF, if the books is well-​organized with a solid index and glos­sary, but even major pub­lish­ers (Wiz­ards of the Coast) seem to strug­gle with orga­ni­za­tion and index­ing.

Long story short: I would like to offer this sug­ges­tion for the game, and I would offer my time to help work on it. The file could be password-​protected to pre­vent it from being edited, and could be included as an extra down­load with the price of the game. Of course it’s not going to gen­er­ate a spike in sales, but it could help play­ers — novice and vet­eran — nav­i­gate the com­plex­i­ties of the game. I think every­one would appre­ci­ate the extra help.

Okay, that’s all. Please have mercy! :give-up
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Michael

[Sug­ges­tion] OneNote Com­pan­ion File 2 years 11 months ago #3660

• Allan
  • Thank you received: 131
I am up for any work on the sys­tem. That being said, mostly in a finan­cial capac­ity, as we are com­ing into our busy work load and have lim­ited com­puter skills.

Allan
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shack­led we are bound
Free­dom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned

[Sug­ges­tion] OneNote Com­pan­ion File 2 years 11 months ago #3661

• Land­walker
  • Thank you received: 12
The idea of a re-​organized (and maybe errata’d) ren­di­tion of the rules for bet­ter user– and learner-​friendliness intrigues me, and I would be in favor of such an under­tak­ing.

Unfor­tu­nately, I don’t actu­ally know the rules nearly well enough to be of much use in con­tribut­ing to such a project. But I would cer­tainly be inter­ested in it!
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Land­walker.

[Sug­ges­tion] OneNote Com­pan­ion File 2 years 11 months ago #3662

As I said, I am will­ing to con­tribute some time and energy to help­ing this advance. I really like this game, the com­bat sys­tem is so won­der­ful, the magic sys­tem is so dif­fer­ent from the nor­mal tropes of games like D&D, and I’m in love with the char­ac­ter cre­ation process. I just want to see it suc­ceed and I think mak­ing things more acces­si­ble and well-​organized could help a lot.

With that in mind, I think the all needs to flow through one source, either a per­son or a small group, who makes all deci­sions regard­ing lay­out, struc­ture, and style. I don’t want a bunch of peo­ple to put sep­a­rate parts together, and then find them wildly dif­fer­ent from each other when it comes time to stitch it all into one file. I’d like the final prod­uct to have con­sis­tent struc­ture and lay­out from one page and sec­tion to the next so it looks clean and simple.

[Sug­ges­tion] OneNote Com­pan­ion File 2 years 11 months ago #3663

• Land­walker
  • Thank you received: 12
stormy­wa­ters wrote:
With that in mind, I think the all needs to flow through one source, either a per­son or a small group, who makes all deci­sions regard­ing lay­out, struc­ture, and style. I don’t want a bunch of peo­ple to put sep­a­rate parts together, and then find them wildly dif­fer­ent from each other when it comes time to stitch it all into one file. I’d like the final prod­uct to have con­sis­tent struc­ture and lay­out from one page and sec­tion to the next so it looks clean and simple.
Well, I know who I would nom­i­nate… :Hmmm

Warn­ing: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

As men­tioned, I’m not famil­iar enough with Blade by a long, long shot… although with busy sea­son at work­ing end­ing in the next few days, I hope to take the sum­mer as an oppor­tu­nity to change that. I’m happy to pro­vide some assis­tance, if I’m given some direction.
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Land­walker.

[Sug­ges­tion] OneNote Com­pan­ion File 2 years 11 months ago #3665

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 518
Well, Phil, and to an even greater degree myself, are com­pletely com­puter inept — what would you expect from a pro­fes­sional his­to­rian lit­er­ally spend­ing his in libraries por­ing over books and tak­ing notes by hand, with a foun­tain pen at that. So please don’t expect us to tackle OneNote — I might just as well tackle mas­ter­ing sor­cery.

But, as I have just writ­ten else­where, a sec­ond edi­tion is not impos­si­ble. Should this go ahead we would be happy to also present it in a guise more friendly to the dig­i­tal user (of whose needs we no quite lit­er­ally noth­ing what­so­ever). That would how­ever indeed require work by some third party. So if it comes to that and your offer still stands at that time, we would be happy to accept your kind offer of assis­tance, for which we thank you very much, stormy­wa­ters.

At the present time, Phil and I do how­ever con­cen­trate all the labour effort we can cur­rently spare on get­ting our head around how to best over­haul Blade.
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil

[Sug­ges­tion] OneNote Com­pan­ion File 2 years 3 months ago #3835

• Allan
Any crumb of knowl­edge about some fur­ther work.???
It must time for a new Kick­starter.

I hope to re-​fire our Blade game next week, with a sec­ond player.
We have been on a lit­tle tour of Tekunel and Mind­jam­mer.

Really love to learn of some work for Blade.
Allan

[Sug­ges­tion] OneNote Com­pan­ion File 2 years 2 months ago #3846

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 518
Allan wrote:
Any crumb of knowl­edge about some fur­ther work.???

Well, unfo­tu­nately both Phil and myself have been busier than we liked this year — as recently evi­denced by my absence -, so we didn’t get to do any­thing at all, apart from maybe a few scat­tered notes we took and exchanged.

As regards our plans: You know how it is. Time passes, and with time you learn more and also your tastes shift, and with both together you become less happy with your past work then you were when you actu­ally did it. It is with this mind­set that we are view­ing Blade nowa­days, and with the feel­ing that it needs some touches here and there.

What would the over­haul con­tain: First of all many cus­tomi­sa­tion options, some of them giv­ing more depth to the Sim­u­la­tion side of Blade, espe­cially com­bat, but most of them actu­ally speed­ing up res­o­lu­tion of the lat­ter a lot, for those groups who are so inclined. An over­haul of Fatigue, changes to Ter­rain Checks, a few addi­tional weapons, more in-​depth expla­na­tion of the var­i­ous armour types (but still no ready-​to-​wear suits, sorry Allan), new Assets and brush­ing up a few of the exist­ing ones, a com­plete mass-​combat sys­tem enabling to play out bat­tles with tac­ti­cal accu­racy and some detail but with the main focus still clearly on the impact of PC actions, some new Arcane Secrets and means to com­bine Lesser Mys­ter­ies for new effects, options for even more pow­er­ful sor­cery, options for Taint, tiny tweaks to the Pri­or­ity Pick table, etc.

No a com­pletely new game, just a pol­ish to the exist­ing one.
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil

[Sug­ges­tion] OneNote Com­pan­ion File 2 years 2 months ago #3851

• Allan
That sounds amaz­ing. ‘Son of Blade’, trum­pets blar­ing, babies cry­ing, riots in the streets :blink:
Mod­er­a­tors: Mozusuke, Phil, Michael
Time to cre­ate page: 0.184 sec­onds