Wel­come, Guest
User­name: Pass­word: Remem­ber me

TOPIC: New Review posted on DTRPG

New Review posted on DTRPG 4 years 1 week ago #2693

• Phil
  • Thank you received: 133
Here is a review that I wanted to share with the com­mu­nity:

Blade of the Iron Throne B&W Edi­tion

I REALLY wanted to love this game. They have an excel­lent grasp on the genre and they designed it so it could fit into many dif­fer­ent S&S worlds. My ini­tial idea was a “Thieves World” cam­paign.

Then I really dug into the rules. Much can be cus­tomized with in its frame work. That frame­work has prob­lems.

They really tried to break out of the con­ven­tional mold, even stat­ing “Don’t loot the bod­ies”. Per­haps a gam­ing first.

It is a VERY detailed man to man com­bat sys­tem. It is actu­ally more detailed than an Avalon Hill board game called “Glad­i­a­tor”. The small­est move counts for some­thing. Instead of nor­mal “rounds”, they have two square off and duke it out until some­thing hap­pens. Then its the next play­ers turn. Com­bat is deadly and some­thing will hap­pen soon enough; but with more than a cou­ple of play­ers, they might want to bring a book.

Char­ac­ter gen­er­a­tion is sup­pose to be dynamic but it really didn’t do any­thing that FATE or sim­i­lar games did. Yes, the com­bat options are super intense; but they are geared to man to man, not man to lion, tiger or bear. And it losses a lot if a group off char­ac­ters are try­ing bring down a beast.

Per­haps the part that annoyed me most was the “Pas­sions Attrib­utes”. You can have a great back­ground and still have no real “Pas­sion” besides “Going to the Big City”; but you are sup­pose to have 4 and one will add to your dice to and then one from any­thing related. Big City: 1 die, Sur­vive: 3 die; become best swords­man: 1 die; defend my honor: 1 die. Power gamers just got 6 die in every com­bat! 4 “Pas­sion Attrib­utes” were just to many.

Another prob­lem is that skills can default to attrib­utes to eas­ily. No point putting just a cou­ple of points here and there, just stack Attrib­utes. The dif­fer­ent styles of com­bat were neat; but way to com­pli­cated for any­one but wargamers.

The book looks good but rules are flung all over the book. Out of 370 some pages, 40 are devoted to a recy­cled cam­paign world and the rest are pretty much charts. YUP! That’s how many charts go into a one on one bat­tle.

I really liked their phi­los­o­phy. That is why I rate this as a 2 instead of a one. Use­ful for some ideas and maybe parts of the com­bat sys­tem.

One last inter­est­ing note. I read their forums to see if I was miss­ing some­thing. I really wanted this game to work. They pro­vide no equip­ment list.

They have detailed attack zones and just list things armor is made of. You fill in the blanks. I might have been less both­ered by this except THEY ARE WRONG about the types. They spent so much time try­ing to “break stereo types” and they are just as guilty.

This game is not all bad. A Glad­i­a­tor cam­paign could work really well.

They didn’t list armor to avoid the Mid­dle Ages trap. Yet they pulled every Mid­dle Ages melee attack straight from fan­tasy fic­tion.

They claim a sword is a sword. They all work the same.

Yea, they sure do…

Thoughts anyone?
Last Edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Phil.
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.

New Review posted on DTRPG 4 years 1 week ago #2694

Sounds like some­one didn’t bother to grok the game before bash­ing it.

New Review posted on DTRPG 4 years 1 week ago #2696

• Allan
  • Thank you received: 131
Do you get the right to reply?
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shack­led we are bound
Free­dom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned

New Review posted on DTRPG 4 years 1 week ago #2697

He did, stat­ing that a thread was opened for dis­cus­sion of the rules.

So let’s start there!

1. Yes, Pas­sion Attrib­utes can be applied in com­bat. Even if you min/​max and get 6 extra dice in com­bat, it’s not a game-​breaking ben­e­fit to you. The dif­fer­ence between 15 dice and 20 dice in your pool is much smaller than you would think.

2. Attrib­utes don’t get added to your skills. If you take 2 points in Sur­vival, you get to roll 2 dice, that’s it. If you think just going Attrib­utes is bet­ter, remem­ber that you have to roll TWICE the num­ber of suc­cesses if you aren’t trained in a skill. So tak­ing just a few points in a skill rapidly out­strips hav­ing a high attribute.

3. What do you mean about the armor being “wrong about the types”?

New Review posted on DTRPG 4 years 1 week ago #2698

• Phil
  • Thank you received: 133
Hmm. I am fairly con­fused about the armor mate­ri­als being all wrong as well as his state­ment that all swords are alike?

New Review posted on DTRPG 4 years 1 week ago #2699

Hon­estly, I get the feel­ing he just didn’t get the game he was expect­ing, and is more annoyed about that than any­thing else.

New Review posted on DTRPG 4 years 1 week ago #2713

• Cer­tic
  • Thank you received: 24
“Rules are flung all over the book” is the only cir­it­cism I could agree with. Peo­ple not famil­iar with TRoS I could imag­ine really strug­gling to get to grips with the game. The rest is non­sense and I sus­pect the reviewer and his group play games like Pathfinder and Iron Heroes.

New Review posted on DTRPG 4 years 1 week ago #2714

• Allan
  • Thank you received: 131
+1 Certic
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shack­led we are bound
Free­dom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned

New Review posted on DTRPG 4 years 1 week ago #2718

• Mozusuke
  • Thank you received: 127
As some­one who came to Blade with no expe­ri­ence of TROS, I can con­firm the verac­ity of Certic’s con­jec­ture, at least in my case. And I am REALLY good at get­ting to grips with rule­sets, in gen­eral. I would say it was mainly down to the patience of this forum that I finally grokked it.
Mod­er­a­tors: Mozusuke, Phil, Michael
Time to cre­ate page: 0.161 sec­onds