Wel­come, Guest
User­name: Pass­word: Remem­ber me

TOPIC: Falling dam­age and poison

Falling dam­age and poi­son 3 years 2 months ago #3987

• Aghori
  • Thank you received: 15
A quick ques­tion about falling dam­age: The rules give you a dam­age rat­ing, which, read­ing the exam­ple, seems to cor­re­spond to dam­age lev­els. What about armor and tenac­ity? Is the dam­age not reduced by it?

Another ques­tion, regard­ing poi­son: If I read the poi­son pro­gres­sion chart on page 192 right, resist­ing the poi­son becomes eas­ier the more you have pro­gressed on the Poi­son Track. TN for resist­ing to go up from level 1 to 2 is 9. But from 5 to 6 is TN 6. What is the logic behind that? Shouldn’t it be the other way round?
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Aghori.
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.

Falling dam­age and poi­son 3 years 2 months ago #3989

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 518
Aghori wrote:
The rules give you a dam­age rat­ing, which, read­ing the exam­ple, seems to cor­re­spond to dam­age lev­els. What about armor and tenac­ity? Is the dam­age not reduced by it?

Armour and TN do not apply. TN might be arguable, but we decided that body mass and mus­cle don’t have as big an influ­ence on avoid­ing break­ing a leg as on the depth of a cut to a leg, for exam­ple, and set up the falling dam­age table accord­ingly. And while armour may pro­tect you from frac­tur­ing a skull its impact on the vast major­ity of falling dam­ages, i.e. bro­ken bones, is neg­li­gi­ble. Plate armour doesn’t aid you in not break­ing your leg…

Aghori wrote:
If I read the poi­son pro­gres­sion chart on page 192 right, resist­ing the poi­son becomes eas­ier the more you have pro­gressed on the Poi­son Track. […] Shouldn’t it be the other way round?

No. Before mod­ern chem­istry, truly and dev­as­tat­ingly deadly poi­sons were actu­ally exceed­ingly rare. Nor­mal poi­sons debil­i­tate, but they rarely kill. A vic­tim gets into a pro­gres­sively bad state, but then he recov­ers – and that’s what the Poi­son Pro­gres­sion Chart sim­u­lates, where being com­pletely unaf­fected by a poi­son is actu­ally much less likely than dying from it. You are dizzy, you break a sweat, your tem­per­a­ture soars, your heart pal­pi­tates, you are in pain, but then your body defeats the poi­son and you get bet­ter, pro­vided it is not one of the sub­lime deadly ones. Or unless you are unlucky or sickly to start with, in which case your body will not be able to deal with the poi­son and shut down.

If you want a truly deadly fan­tasy poi­son, demand a high QoS for the chart – but be warned that even a larger-​than-​life hero may have a hard time scor­ing 4 Vic­to­ries against even TN 6. And even QoS 3 poi­sons are of course sub­limely deadly for the vast major­ity of nor­mal people.
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Michael.

Falling dam­age and poi­son 3 years 2 months ago #3991

• Aghori
  • Thank you received: 15
Michael wrote:
Armour and TN do not apply.

Well, that makes falling very dan­ger­ous. Good.

Michael wrote:
A vic­tim gets into a pro­gres­sively bad state, but then he recov­ers – and that’s what the Poi­son Pro­gres­sion Chart sim­u­lates, where being com­pletely unaf­fected by a poi­son is actu­ally much less likely than dying from it.

I see, a dif­fer­ent approach than I expected, but I under­stand the logic. Thank you.
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Aghori.
Mod­er­a­tors: Mozusuke, Phil, Michael
Time to cre­ate page: 0.140 sec­onds