Wel­come, Guest
User­name: Pass­word: Remem­ber me

TOPIC: Blade Green­horn: Test Char­ac­ter feedback

Blade Green­horn: Test Char­ac­ter feed­back 3 years 9 months ago #3941

Hello fel­low Blade fans,

I recently picked up the rules for the game due to pop­u­lar demand by my usual d20 crowd want­ing to try out some­thing new and fresh. See­ing the com­bat of the game, I fell in love. Even though I will most likely (7÷10) be reff­ing, I want to make sure I under­stand char­ac­ter cre­ation enough to guide my play­ers through it when the times comes.

So, as fol­lows is Vinthror Storm­crow

Dis­hon­ored and exiled by Chief Wode­nulf, whose ear has been filled with the poi­so­nous lotus-​dreams of sor­cer­ers and seers, Thane Storm­crow was stripped of his title and his claims sun­dered. Dis­carded like a bro­ken blade and cast into the iron-​grey seas, Vinthror found him­self fished from the waves and clasped in shack­les, sold to lands abroad as a laborer. It has been years hence, his chains bro­ken as he wan­ders adrift in an alien land, his hatred honed to a vis­cous point.

A:​Attrib­utes
B: Pro­fi­ciency
C:​Cul­ture
D: Skills (18)
E: Sor­cery (Cursed — by the viziers of his Clan cheif)
F: Assets

Attrib­utes
Brawn: 8
Dar­ing: 8
Tenac­ity: 6
Heart: 2
Sagac­ity: 3
Cun­ning: 7

Reflexes: 8
Aim: 5
Knock­down: 8
Knock­out: 7
Move: 7

Skills
Ani­mal Ken (HT) 4
Bat­tle Tac­tics (SY) 6
For­eign Lan­guages (SY) 2
Sea­man­ship (TY) 6
Sol­dier­ing (TY) 6
Sur­vival (CG) 4

Pro­fi­cien­cies
–Longsword: 11

Assets
–Con­nec­tion (Poor): He has a list of loathed names he chants each night, a mantra of vengeance towards those who ruined him.
–Lost Love (Poor): His hearth and home was razed when he was betrayed, his wife and fam­ily stuck inside to be burned alive. He has been bit­ter since.
–Indomitable (Poor): Too stub­born for his own good, and will fight to the end unless allies drag him away.
–Dreaded (Poor): One look in his eyes is all it takes.
–Killer Instinct (Good): Before the for­eign devil poi­soned his chief’s mind, Vinthror was Wodenulf’s cham­pion — set­tling chal­lenges to his rule and quelling would-​be usurpers.

Pas­sions
–Jus­tice and Vengeance will be mine (5); Chief Wode­nulf, Heimthral the All-​Seeing, Cap­tain Vitanissa, Glima Silver-​Tongue, and the for­eign devil Tamghat. These five are the archi­tects of my dis­may, and I shall destroy every­thing that they stand for, and every­thing that the are.
–No chain unbro­ken (1); I will see the end of the days in which empires dance upon the backs of slaves.
–Drama: 1

Loot
Rat­ing 2
–Basic longsword, targe, and 2 javelins/​short spears
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Storm­Wolf.
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.

Blade Green­horn: Test Char­ac­ter feed­back 3 years 9 months ago #3942

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 518
Hello and wel­come to the game and the forum, Storm­Wolf! :)

The first pro­viso in critiz­ing your PC is that PC cre­ation, or more pre­cisely cre­ation of the char­ac­ter con­cepts and PAs, should absolutely be done com­mu­nally, with input from every­body, while still retain­ing full dis­cre­tionary pow­ers one­self. I real­ize that this is not pos­si­ble for a sam­ple PC, but as it is so very impor­tant I like to stress it any­way.

That said I think you have done excep­tion­ally well for a first char­ac­ter! Going through your choices:

Storm­Wolf wrote:
Attrib­utes
Brawn (BN): 8
Dar­ing (DG): 6
Tenac­ity (TN): 6
Heart (HT): 3
Sagac­ity (SY): 3
Cun­ning (CG): 4

Very good. You obvi­ously have grasped the prin­ci­ple that 4s and even 5s are best avoided at char­gen. One prob­lem, though: You’ve got 26+3 points at your dis­posal but spent 30. My advice is to think about how you envi­son Vinthror and then drop either HT or SY.

HT 2 might mean that he would be slightly unlike­lable in any case, but his expe­ri­ences have made him almost fanat­i­cally intense about vengeance and brim­ming over with hatred — and thus socially single-​minded and highly unpleas­ant.

SY 2 need not mean that he is out­right stu­pid, but that has had no school­ing of any kind com­bined with a mix­ture of short atten­tion span, trou­ble con­cen­trat­ing, aver­sity and inep­ti­tude for pure the­ory, and maybe a none-​too-​great mem­ory.

Storm­Wolf wrote:
Pro­fi­cien­cies
Note: This is some­thing I am request­ing par­tic­u­lar scrutiny on, since there is the derived and over­lap­ping weapon Profs. Call me out if I grossly mis­un­der­stand

–Longsword 12
*Greatsword (-2) 10
*Spear & Shield (−3+1) 10
*Spear/​Javelin (−3+1) 7
*Mass Weapon & Shield (−4+1) 9
*Sword & Shield (-4) 8

You once again did well, demon­strat­ing your grasp of the prin­ci­ples by the way you con­cen­trate every­thing into Longsword and don’t spread points around. How­ever, you have 16 points to work with and only spent 15 (12 + 3 x +1). This needs to be changed, and if you’re really one for min-​maxing the hell out of the points you might also con­sider pour­ing the 4 points you have into just one of the defaults instead of spread­ing them around, but this has of course also to do with the vision you have of the char­ac­ter.

Storm­Wolf wrote:
Skills
Ani­mal Ken (HT) 3
Bat­tle Tac­tics (SY) 5
Climb­ing (DG) 3
Danc­ing (DG) 2
For­eign Lan­guages (SY) 2
Sea­man­ship (TY) 3
Sol­dier­ing (TY) 5
Sur­vival (CG) 4
Swim­ming (DG) 2

Here you blun­dered a bit. Skills should only be pur­chased if the endeav­our they cover is some­how defin­ing to who the char­ac­ter is — other Skills should bet­ter oper­ate from the default. Skills are about who the char­ac­ter is, not about what he “also” knows. If a cer­tain endeav­our wouldn’t come to mind imme­di­ately if one thinks of a char­ac­ter, it should bet­ter not be devel­oped into a Skill. It is very fea­si­ble that Vinthror should enjoy danc­ing, but I don’t think that him being a dancer is one of the first things that would come to somebody’s mind think­ing about him. So I’d axe Danc­ing and have him do that by default — which still means that he is going to be a able to com­pete on an almost pro­fes­sional level. A pro­fes­sional has Danc­ing 4, for an aver­age 2 Suc­cesses; Using DG 6 instead, Vinthror will on the aver­age achieve 3 Suc­cesses, very close to the 4 he would need to match the pro­fes­sional…

And speak­ing of Skill defaults: It is a waste of points putting less than half the Skill’s gov­ern­ing Attribute’s rat­ing into any Skill, and even putting exactly half in there is still only very slightly ben­e­fi­cial. Swim­ming would bet­ter oper­ate from Attribute default with­out points being invested, or if you really think of Vinthror as a great swim­mer, as some­body for whom swim­ming, as opposed to being just able to swim, is some­how defin­ing, you’d bet­ter move over at least one of the two points saved by scratch­ing Danc­ing.

But those 2 points would, along with the 2 from Swim­ming, imo be bet­ter split up into Climb­ing and Sea­man­ship, to give them bet­ter rat­ings than just half the gov­ern­ing Attribute. Or, bet­ter still, let also Climb­ing oper­ate from default (again, with gov­ern­ing Attribute 6 he is almost the equal of a pro­fes­sional moun­taineer) and spread out those 3+2+2 points among Ani­mal Ken, Bat­tle Tac­tics, Sea­man­ship, Sol­dier­ing and Sur­vival, for some real oomph.

Storm­Wolf wrote:
Assets
–Con­nec­tion (Poor): He has a list of loathed names he chants each night, a mantra of vengeance towards those who ruined him.
–Lost Love (Poor): His hearth and home was razed when he was betrayed, his wife and fam­ily stuck inside to be burned alive. He has been bit­ter since.
–Indomitable (Poor): Too stub­born for his own good, and will fight to the end unless allies drag him away.

I am lik­ing them, as well as your short descrip­tions of what the Assets mean for Vinthror.

Storm­Wolf wrote:
Pas­sions
5: Jus­tice and Vengeance will be mine. Chief Wode­nulf, Heimthral the All-​Seeing, Cap­tain Vitanissa, Glima Silver-​Tongue, and the for­eign devil Tamghat. These five are the archi­tects of my dis­may, and I shall destroy every­thing that they stand for, and every­thing that the are.
4: No chain unbro­ken; I will see the end of the days in which empires dance upon the backs of slaves.

Once again, I like them a lot, but only 7 points should be spread out among them, and there should be four in total, plus Drama (see p38). Now, I have often advised that it may, under cer­tain cir­cum­stances, be a good idea to leave one of the four slots free to be assigned as soon as any­thing inter­est­ing comes along dur­ing the cam­paign, but leav­ing two unde­fined is push­ing it — over the brink, that is.

This is some­thing where com­mu­nal char­gen really helps. Devel­op­ing char­ac­ter con­cepts together will always give the play­ers ideas for PAs — and PAs link­ing the PCs together will also hepl mak­ing a group of Conan-​esque badasses stick­ing together more plau­si­ble.

Finally, what’s still miss­ing is Loot — which from his back­story should prob­a­bly be no higher than 2, maybe 0 if he escaped slav­ery only imme­di­ately before the begin­ning of the cam­paign.

Over­ally very well done for a first-​timer!
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Michael.
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Allan

Blade Green­horn: Test Char­ac­ter feed­back 3 years 9 months ago #3943

Thanks for the feed­back! I made the sug­gested changes, chose his Drama, and his Loot.

Blade Green­horn: Test Char­ac­ter feed­back 3 years 9 months ago #3944

• Anarak
  • Thank you received: 67
Wel­come to the forums Storm­Wolf o/​

just a few bul­let­points in add:

–Always spe­cial­ize. In pro­fi­cien­cies, with an A-​16 points, pick a weapon group and pour all your points in it. The max­i­mum is 13 at char­gen, so go ahead and put 13 in longsword. [edit: 12 is max­i­mum at char­gen, 13 in-​game, so nvm this one, although always DO spe­cial­ize]

–Usu­ally an A in prof. is meant for char who will split its points into both melee and ranged or melee\ranged & sor­cery, or go full sor­cery. For exam­ple, Vinthror starts with 13 in longsword plus 3 in some mis­sile prof. [edit:12 longsword, 4 mis­sile]

–If you dont envi­sion him using mis­sile weapons, you can get away with a B in prof. for 11 points in longsword, plus defaults, plus a free A pick for what­ever. Unless you absolute want him to max another group, which too is bet­ter to just spe­cial­ize instead of spread­ing around.

–Its always best to max­i­mize a prof. weapon group at char­gen because the points are 1:1 and because you have defaults. For exam­ple, with 12 in LS you had 9 in spear & shield, and you spent a point to go up to 10. By hav­ing 13 in LS you already have 10 in S&S plus an extra point in all other default­a­bles. This is way its bet­ter (mechan­i­cally) to split your remain­ing points in mis­sile prof. since they dont default from melee ones. [edit: 12 max, but point still stands]

–The only occa­sion low value skills might be handy is when a pas­sion is kick­ing. For exam­ple, a 2 in swim­ming with a 3 pas­sion kick­ing is a 5 dice pool. Of course, your attribute also gets to enjoy the pool, but remem­ber­ing that when using attrib­utes you require dou­ble the amount of suc­cesses, thus5 skill dice (2skill+3P) requir­ing 2 suc­cesses is bet­ter than 9 attribute dice (6att+3P) requr­ing 4 suc­cesses (81% vs 74%) and a LOT bet­ter than 3 suc­cesses vs 6 suc­cesses (50% vs 25%)! Bear in mind though, that count­ing on this is gam­bling, you trade the cer­tainty of always hav­ing a few high pools for the uncer­tainty of hav­ing vari­able pools.

–Not sure you just didnt want, but you can get another poor asset and in exchange you get a good asset.

HT, for good or worse, is THE dump stat in blade, fear no fear dump­ing it. If any­thing, you can buy a few social skills so you are not a total bas­ket case.

– “*Spear/​Javelin (−3+2) 8″ I take you might mean (-3+1*) 10 ? Can’t +2 because you have 16 points not 17. Again, my sug­ges­tion would be to pick either a mis­sile group prof, go B-​11 or get brawl­ing OR wrestling. Some sort of unarmed com­bat is good because most of the time you will stick to your pref­ered weapon, but its not unheard of narrators/​referees hav­ing a knack for sud­denly mak­ing a char­ac­ter get­ting caught and lose all weapons, plus the odd tav­ern brawl. This too aside, brawling\wrestling is a good com­ple­ment to the longsword in the case some­one gets too close for com­fort, or if you want to sub­due some­one among a plethora of other things that unarmed might allow you. Since your default is a bad –4, might be worth going there instead of the sim­i­lar greatsword.

–As per my under­stand­ing of blade, you don’t actu­ally name the Drama attribute. Drama is a catch-​all resource that you use to chip in when­ever you want to have a break or intro­duce some­thing inter­est­ing in a scene. Its like the drama points in 7th sea, will power in sto­ry­teller, fate points in fate & etcetera. It’s your “pro­tag­o­nist power”… Nev­er­the­less, I really like how you named yours!

Btw, nice pas­sions you have there :) i’ll check by later to see what else Vinthror is pas­sioned about.
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Anarak.
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Michael

Blade Green­horn: Test Char­ac­ter feed­back 3 years 9 months ago #3945

• Anarak
Adden­dum:

Speak­ing strictly in min-​max tongue, i’d sug­gest enter­tain­ing the idea of chang­ing these pri­or­i­ties around: Instead of Pro­fi­ciences, cul­ture and attribute, i’d say A-​Attribute, B-​Proficiency and C-​Culture.

As you have, Vinthror has a melee pool of 17 (5+12), which is good of course. Although, with an A in attrib­utes, you could go some­thing like this:
Brawn 8
Dar­ing 8
Tenac­ity 6
Heart 2
Sagac­ity 3
Cun­ning 7

Longsword: 11
Reflexes: 8
Aim: 5

For a melee pool of 19 (8+11)

By los­ing 1 prof point, you would get 2 general-​purpose dice for ALL melee pools plus bet­ter all around attrib­utes and derived attrib­utes, allow­ing you to go higher on some and spe­cial­ize bet­ter in your skills. You can, of course, fur­ther spe­cial­ize your attrib­utes, upping dar­ing and cun­ning for exam­ple, so you get 9 reflexes (20 melee pool, ouch). Not only are you a mon­ster swords­man but one cun­ning and dar­ing fox, you almost always get to act first in dou­ble attack sit­u­a­tions and never get to get jumped uppon, among other, plus you are a bit bet­ter at throw­ing stuff (and its cheap buy­ing low level prof. points).

I’m only men­tion­ing this because I think it still fits your con­cept. Since he’s been liv­ing as a nomad, a C-​Hillman/​Nomad fits per­fectly, even if he might had been brought up as a sav­age — which just from read­ing I dont think is the case, since there are lords, and seers and thanes. It feels more like a norse hill­man that is now liv­ing as a nomad. Of course, its your game and you get to decide what the sav­age and what the nomad/​hillman really means, but just offer­ing that a C-​culture also might fit your con­cept.

Same with attrib­utes. Since he’s been car­ing for him­self for a while now, liv­ing the hard life, makes sense he devel­oped more of his nat­ural apti­tudes (‘A’) rather than his learned skills (‘D’), even if he pre­vi­ously was a learned swords­men (‘B’) he maybe never got to fin­ish his train­ings, or per­haps he did fin­ish but he’s not fac­ing many equally skilled swords­men so he has not really learned any­thing new, technique-​wise, besides fight­ing like a fero­cious beast. (‘A+B’)

Just my 2 cents
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Anarak.

Blade Green­horn: Test Char­ac­ter feed­back 3 years 9 months ago #3946

• Michael
Storm­Wolf, I wanted to cre­ate a quick char­ac­ter as a com­pan­ion for Vinthror, to demon­strate how PAs can and should be used to link PCs together, but inspi­ra­tion car­ried me awa and the exer­cise got more than just a quick char­ac­ter. You will see how they are linked at the very end, but for now I give you

Tadulzôr

Even as a child, Tadulzôr had heard dark, for­bid­den things whis­per to him, beckon him, seem­ing to hint at secrets unguess­able. He thought the com­pany of the priests of the pre­scribed cults, and from them he first heard secrets of the Broth­er­hood of the Devourer. Not yet fully grown he ran away from his par­ents’ town­house and sought the Broth­er­hood, fol­low­ing hushed rumors and veiled hints. A year trav­elled, scroung­ing, beg­ging, steal­ing, until he finally found the hid­den moun­tain fast­ness of the mas­ters of the Broth­er­hood. They saw a dark promise in his tenac­ity, and they made him one of their acolytes, the youngest ever to be accepted into that dread order. Great were the atroc­i­ties required of Tadulzôr in acquir­ing his fledg­ling sor­cer­ous arts, and many the ter­ri­ble secrets he learned, but for him it was not enough. There were hints at mas­ters still above the hid­den mas­ters of the Broth­er­hood, rumors of secrets to be learned and pow­ers to be gained else­where, and, being young, pre­co­cious and fool­ish, Tadulzôr believed in those leg­ends of great­ness in even greater iniq­uity, and read­ily so, also believ­ing in his own clev­er­ness and abil­ity to find and acquire even greater pow­ers else­where. He betrayed the mas­ters.

He was found out imme­di­ately.

For nine days and nine nights he was tor­tured to death, with fires that seared, blades that cut, hooks that tore. On the mor­row of the tenth day, his fel­low acolytes cut his throat to the bone and threw his dead car­cass from the moun­tain fast­ness, to tum­ble a mile down the sheer chasm below it, food for jack­als.

But some­thing brought him back. He deliri­ously seems to half-​remember some ter­ri­ble entity pluck­ing up his soul from its jour­ney to what­ever hell it might have been bound for, believes to have heard words telling him that he still had a pur­pose, words in the same sin­is­ter voice he some­times heard whis­per to him as a child.

He awoke at the bot­tom of the canyon, bro­ken and torn far beyond the body capac­ity to live, even to remain in one piece. Still, some­how, he man­aged to drag him­self into a shal­low cave, and there he lay for many weeks, mend­ing ever so slowly, devour­ing raw the birds and mice and rab­bits brought to him by the jack­als and hye­nas of the moun­tains, always lis­ten­ing, lis­ten­ing to the whis­per­ing in the dark, try­ing to make sense of its words. After a month or two his near dis­mem­bered body was finally rejoined enough to at least sus­tain itself as alive, and he dragged him­self drom the cave, away from the moun­tain fast­ness of the Broth­er­hood, away from the ter­ri­ble threat of detec­tion. Many days and nights he dragged him­self on his belly over the rocks, leav­ing a smear of blood and flesh, till he was found by a tribesman hav­ing ven­tured deep into the moun­tains on a hunt. Some­how, against all odds, the sav­age took pity on Tadulzôr and took him back to his vil­lage. For two years he was nursed there – two years. That was how long it took his body to heal from what had been inflicted on it, heal in a man­ner of speak­ing, that is. No inch of his body is free from scar tis­sue, the bones in his legs, ground to gravel by his tor­tur­ers, have set crookedly, many teeth and entire chunks of flesh are miss­ing here and there, as is his right hand, half his nose, and tufts of hair from his scalp, and some of his fin­ger– and toe­nails will never regrow.

In the bar­bar­ians’ vil­lage, the whis­pers had been silent, but when he walked away from there, he began hear­ing them now and again, and to some­times, be it in the dark­ness or merely in his mind, to see vague glimpses of the thing speak­ing to him. It had brought him back from death, aided him, so much Tadulzôr knows. But what for? He needs to find out.

Tadulzôr has remained his dark, dri­ven, intense self from three years ago, but the his expe­ri­ence on the rack and the bar­bar­ian vil­lage has mel­lowed him some­what, or maybe it is just hav­ing passed ado­les­cence. He still yearns for dark nowl­edge and power and still does not shrink from atroc­i­ties in their pur­suit, but he does not actively embrace iniq­uity the way his younger self did. Does his dark patron know? Is he going to like it when he finds out? Tadulzôr won­ders.

Tadulzôr is 24 years of age, a lame, twisted, and gan­gling fig­ure in con­stant pain mov­ing awk­wardly. Once almost ath­letic, rak­ishly hand­some and quite vain, his face is now a night­mare which he hides behind a tar­nished cop­per mask which how­ever only man­ages to obscure the full extent of his hideous­ness, not the fact itself. He still yearns for dark pow­ers, but now also to restore his body. While his treat­ment by the Broth­er­hood has left him under­stand­ably resent­ful he can­not help think­ing that he had been ask­ing for it, so he would – for now! – rather avoid the Broth­er­hood than seek vengeance against it. Unless of course an oppor­tu­nity presents itself…

A: Sor­cery – Mys­te­ri­arch (using the quasi-​official amend­ment posted here)
B: Pro­fi­cien­cies – 11, +6 extra to spendon Mys­ter­ies
C: Attrib­utes – 26
D: Cul­ture – Civ­i­lized
E: Skills – 12, +1 Occultism from Mys­te­ri­arch
F: Assets – 3 Poor

Attrib­utes
BN 2 – a weak crip­ple
DG 3 – strong in mind, but hugely awk­ward in body
TY 6
SY 7 – focus Attribute; he’s mad for learn­ing and knowl­edge
HT 3 – he once was hand­some and could be charm­ing, but ow his freak­ish­ness alone is unset­tling
CG 5 – devi­ous, but not as devi­ous as he thinks

Ref 4
Aim 6
Kdwn 3
Kout 4
Move 3
Pow 6

Pro­fi­cien­cies /​Mys­ter­ies
Enslave­ment 7SP 13
Pain 2SP 8
Prophecy 1SP 7
Witch­fire 7SP 13

Skills
Ancient Lan­guage 3
Detect Sor­cery 4
False­hood 5
For­eign Lan­guage 3
Occultism 1

Assets
– Hideous (Poor): Mask or not, he’s a freak!
– Lame (Poor): The bones of his legs are set all wron and twisted.
– Miss­ing Hand (Poor): His right hand was far beyond sav­ing, but he’s learned to use the left.
– Skinny (Poor): Chunks of flesh are miss­ing here and there from his now gan­gling frame.
– Con­nec­tion (Good): Some pow­er­ful demonic entity might man­i­fest itself on 10+ to aid him.

Pas­sions
– Pur­sue Sor­cer­ous Power: 3 (Unravel the mys­ter­ies of the dark. Restore your­self. Acquire sor­cer­ous power for its own sake. Destroy the Broth­er­hood. Become a leg­end.)
– Restore Your­self: 1 (Find ways to mend your shat­tered body and become your for­mer self.)
– Thwart the Broth­er­hood of the Devourer: 1 (Cross and thwart them where you can. Bide your time until you can destroy them utterly.)
– Find Out About Your Patron: 1 (What kind of dark being is he? Why has he cho­sen you? What does he want from you?)
– Drama: 1

Loot
Rat­ing 3
Dag­ger, knife, sev­eral tunics and baggy trousers of silk and cot­ton, hooded woolen cloak, vel­vet slip­pers, ankle boots leather, sev­eral sets of leather gloves, bag of sor­cer­ous para­pher­na­lia, sleep­ing rug, blan­ket, can­teen, docile mule with sad­dle and sad­dle bags, all acquired by sor­cer­ous mur­der.
Mask of tar­nished cop­per, faintly sor­cer­ous of an as of yet undis­cov­ered nature.

Join­ing Vinthror Storm­crow
Leav­ing the desert where he recently acquired his mask, Tadulzôr arrived late at a car­a­vanseray. While order­ing a pri­vate meal away fron the com­mon room, he noticed a hulk­ing bar­bar­ian war­rior some­what in his cups, dri­ving his dag­ger again and again deeply into the top of his table, mut­ter­ing some­thing under his breath over and over again. A barely herad word caught Tadulzôr’s atten­tion and he lis­tened closer. Yes, indeed, the bar­bar­ian was chant­ing names, and among them one who rung a bell – Tamghat. Tadulzôr remem­bered hav­ing heard of one Tamghat as a mid­dling mem­ber of the broth­er­hood in some far­away coun­try. Intrigued, he decided to care­fully approach the for­eigner…

So, Tadulzôr’s “Thwart the Broth­er­hood” PA is used to link up with Vinthror’s “Jus­tice and Vengeance” PA by Tadulzôr’s player pick­ing a sor­cer­ous char­ac­ter from Vinthror’s back­story and declar­ing him a mem­ber of the Broth­er­hood, giv­ing them a com­mon foe via linked PAs. This is actu­ally a some­what clumsy and weak link, as a PC already cre­ated was used to join up with. If char­gen is done com­mu­nally, much bet­ter links can be estab­lished, as char­ac­ter con­cepts inspire each other as they are fleshed out.

What the ref­eree would now imme­di­ately need to do is acti­vate Vinthror’s Con­nec­tion Poor Asset and have him be attacked by agents of specif­i­cally Tamghat while Tadulzôr is still present, to give both some­thing to fol­low up on com­mu­nally. Now you have your first adven­ture emerg­ing, directly from the PCs’ PAs…

Storm­Wolf wrote:
–There and back again, I will return to my home­land for the final reckoning.

If I were your ref­eree for the cam­paign I would com­ment that this PA is pos­si­ble, but poor. Here’s why:

I sup­pose you will want Vinthror to ulti­mately return to this home­land, but not imme­di­ately. For now, I sup­pose you’d want to have him swash­buck­ling adven­tures in exotic loca­tions before prac­ti­cally set­tling down at home. And here this PA won’t help. It will only kick in when he is actively try­ing to get home, so it’s prob­a­bly not what you want and would sit dor­mant most of the time. It’s some­thing Vinthror wants, but not soemthing that should be made into a PA.

Your ref­eree (me) would also tell you that, while you devel­oped your con­cept he got the idea that some of the guys who once made up the treach­er­ous advi­sors of Lord Wode­nulf have since moved on and left the north­lands. That way, Vinthror could travel to a lot of cool places in the set­ting while get­ting his vengeance, get­ting it in sev­eral places instead of one and broad­en­ing the scope of the cam­paign, while also mak­ing it eas­ier to acco­mo­date the other PCs, who might not want to go to the north­lands either imme­di­ately or for an extended period of time.

That’s why your ref­eree would ask yout to con­sider another PA.

Anarak wrote:
–Always spe­cial­ize. In pro­fi­cien­cies, with an A-​16 points, pick a weapon group and pour all your points in it. The max­i­mum is 13 at char­gen, so go ahead and put 13 in longsword.

You made some great sug­ges­tions and gave some valu­able tips, but the above one is unfor­tu­nately wrong. Pro­fi­ciency 13 is the max­i­mum attainable,but attain­able only in play. Max­i­mum at char­gen is 12, see p38.

Anarak wrote:
Speak­ing strictly in min-​max tongue, i’d sug­gest enter­tain­ing the idea of chang­ing these pri­or­i­ties around: Instead of Pro­fi­ciences, cul­ture and attribute, i’d say A-​Attribute, B-​Proficiency and C-​Culture.

From the view­point of cre­at­ing the most effec­tive war­rior around you’re right (even though Assets also can have a huge role to play), but then some char­ac­ter con­cepts demand cer­tain Cul­ture picks. If the player’s con­cept isn’t just “mighty war­rior” but “mighty bar­bar­ian war­rior” he absolutely needs Cul­ture B or F.

The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Anarak, Land­walker

Blade Green­horn: Test Char­ac­ter feed­back 3 years 9 months ago #3947

• Anarak
You made some great sug­ges­tions and gave some valu­able tips, but the above one is unfor­tu­nately wrong. Pro­fi­ciency 13 is the max­i­mum attainable,but attain­able only in play. Max­i­mum at char­gen is 12, see p38.

Ooops!

I always check the book before mak­ing these sug­ges­tions, but I’v some­how missed the “though no” and read straigh to “Pro­fi­ciency may start out with the max­i­mum rat­ing of 13.” Funny thing is that I always knew the cor­rect max­i­mum but I guess the pow­er­mon­ger in me got the worst of me this time :oops: :silly:

From the view­point of cre­at­ing the most effec­tive war­rior around you’re right (even though Assets also can have a huge role to play), but then some char­ac­ter con­cepts demand cer­tain Cul­ture picks. If the player’s con­cept isn’t just “mighty war­rior” but “mighty bar­bar­ian war­rior” he absolutely needs Cul­ture B or F.

Absolutely! I just felt that Vinthror him­self fits some­what bet­ter into a nomad\hillman (shh, its just a coin­ci­dence that this fits my min-​maxing), although a sav­age is a good pick aswell. Again, not my char­ac­ter, it depends on how sav­age and how nomad the player wants him to be.
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Michael

Blade Green­horn: Test Char­ac­ter feed­back 3 years 9 months ago #3948

Awe­some, thank you both for this. I have edited the char­ac­ter sheet once again, re suggestions.

Blade Green­horn: Test Char­ac­ter feed­back 3 years 9 months ago #3949

• Michael
To take this advice and demon­stra­tion a bit fur­ther:

Now, if you and I were play­ers in the cam­paign doing com­mu­nal char­gen, I would prob­a­bly have come up with the idea that Tadulzôr, real­iz­ing that one of Vinthror’s ene­mies is a mem­ber of the Broth­er­hood and fan­cy­ing him­self a devi­ous bas­tard, would imme­di­ately think on cap­i­tal­iz­ing on this to get the aid of a war­rior as obvi­ously pow­er­ful as Vinthror by telling him that Tamghat was a mem­ber of an evil sor­cer­ous Broth­er­hood he is up against and fur­ther spin­ning this into a story about how his and Vinthror’s goals align and how they should stick together – his goals being indeed also that, but even more so acquir­ing Vinthror as a kind of body­guard and (free) sell­sword to aid him in his per­ilous quest for power. That’s at least for the now, I’d sug­gest; maybe this later devel­ops into a real bond.

Now it would be up to you to decide whether you think this a good idea, put your own spin on it, maybe adding some­thing to your back­story as a slave and later escaped slave to strengthen this bond or adding some other twist to my idea, or even devel­op­ing a PA for Vinthror from this, or maybe reject­ing it out­right. Any­how, the idea is for Vinthror to be – very slightly – duped by Tadulzôr in the begin­ning, and if he is, Vinthror’s player needs to be cool about that. Both you and I would be sit­ting at the table to be hav­ing fun, and if only I have it by exam­ple hav­ing agreed in secret with the ref­eree on some­thing like this, that’s being unfair to you. Here, the sit­u­a­tion is slight, as Tadulzôr isn’t really work­ing against Vinthror, but I guess as old hands at gam­ing we have all seen exam­ples where one plaer was secretly work­ing directly against the oth­ers. If this works out and finally comes to light,this player and the ref­eree may have enjoyed what has secretly been hap­pen­ing all the time, but the other play­ers are going to be put off. Much bet­ter to have the enjoy­ment be a com­pletely shared one and for the duped PCs’ play­ers be one of see­ing – and enjoy­ing, because why not?!? — how their PCs are being manip­u­lated all the time.

I am explain­ing this at length to also rein­force why it is so impor­tant to do char­gen com­mu­nally where con­cepts and PAs are con­cerned. Your mates’ ideas are going to give you ideas of your own, you can estab­lish rea­sons for the PCs to really stay together at least for the imme­di­ate future (more will, or should, develop dur­ing play), and you will make sure that every­body is com­fort­able with every­body else’s choices, or if not at least be aware of them.

And for the ref­eree this will imme­di­ately pro­duce the first adven­ture and a bunch of ideas for the next one. Like with Vinthror and Tadulzôr, where link­ing them made it clear that, for the ref­eree to suf­fi­ciently strengthen the ini­tially weak link an attack by Tamghat on Vinthror is nec­es­sary. As we sup­pose that the north­lands are far off, it fol­lows from this that:

1) Tamghat has left the north­lands and is near the start­ing area of the cam­paign, or he wouldn’t likely have found out about Vinthror being still alive or at least would either not be wor­ried about it or unable to arrange an assas­si­na­tion attempt half a world away

To hook Tadulzôr, who isn’t just going to risk his neck to take down Tamghat, into the adven­ture requires that:

2) Tamghat is actu­ally doing some­thing sor­cer­ous which acti­vates either Tadulzôr’s PA about thwart­ing the broth­er­hood or acquir­ing sor­cer­ous power or restor­ing him­self.

And as not only one PA of each char­ac­ter should be active it fol­lows that

3) the char­ac­ters need not only to find out imme­di­ately who is behind the attack on Vinthror and that he is cur­rently pur­su­ing some scheme to be thwarted, but also quite soon that Tamghat is, let’s say,
3a) in pos­ses­sion of some sor­cer­ous arti­fact (Acquire Sor­cer­ous Power)
3b) using a lot of cruel slave labour or acquir­ing a mas­sive amount of slaves for sac­ri­fice (Break All Chains)

Putting for a moment on the referee’s hat, do you, Storm­Wolf, see how you have the frame­work of your first adven­ture cut out merely by the two PCs’ PAs and by what was estab­lished about their back­sto­ries? All you need to do now is flesh it out! That’s what com­mu­nal char­gen and PAs do for you as the ref­eree!

Anarak wrote:
I just felt that Vinthror him­self fits some­what bet­ter into a nomad\hillman (shh, its just a coin­ci­dence that this fits my min-​maxing), although a sav­age is a good pick as well.

A point on which I want to com­ment in two ways:

First I’d like to draw atten­tion how just a few minor pointer like nordic-​sounding names and titles, along with a PC who is a Sav­age and good at Sea­man­ship, imme­di­ately give a sense of what a place is like? No need to flesh it out to be able to use it in your cam­paign! We are back to one of my dear pets, sketchy set­ting cre­ation.

One might object that’s because we are using a quasi-​historical place, not a fan­tas­ti­cal one. To that I would give the fol­low­ing set­ting descrip­tion:

The North­lands are cul­tur­ally a lot like Scan­di­navia at the begin­ning of the viking age, but they are actu­ally com­pletely land­locked, a land of moun­tains, taiga, and most of all tun­dra. Instead of ships there are horses; it’s a horse­man cul­ture. Visu­ally, think of the por­trayal of Rohan in the movies, but more prim­i­tive, more sav­age vikings and less Anglo-​Saxon lords. They use lighning-​quick cav­alry raids across the bar­ren and haunted Sea of Slate, which only they know how to tra­verse, instead of ship­borne ones.

No need to flesh out a place to be able to use it, a sketch is enough!

The sec­ond thing is that you are of course right, that Hill­man is the most appl­i­caple Cul­ture Pick for a place like, let’s say Nor­way ca. AD 825. But it is not nec­es­sar­ily the only one. It depends on how clear-​cut a referee’s def­i­n­i­tion of places are. It might be one Cul­ture Pick pre­scribed for an entire nation, or more like “the cen­tral and some­what urban regions are Hill­man, with either Sav­age or Degen­er­ate for at least some of the more remote and back­ward regions”.

Just a demon­stra­tion for mainly StormWolf’s ben­e­fit, though. On prin­ci­ple you’re absolutely right!

The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Land­walker
Mod­er­a­tors: Mozusuke, Phil, Michael
Time to cre­ate page: 0.202 sec­onds