Wel­come, Guest
User­name: Pass­word: Remem­ber me

TOPIC: Do E/​F Cul­ture caps to Attrib­utes apply only at Char­ac­ter Creation?

Do E/​F Cul­ture caps to Attrib­utes apply only at Char­ac­ter Cre­ation? 2 years 9 months ago #3773

• babayaga
  • Thank you received: 2
The sub­ject should say it all, but to make it clearer:
E and F Cul­ture picks apply a cap of 7 to cer­tain Attrib­utes. Does it mean char­ac­ters with these Pri­or­ity picks can never reach a score of 8 (or 9) in those Attrib­utes, even in play, or does the cap only apply at char­ac­ter cre­ation? I know that I can rule as I want in my games, I’m just won­der­ing what was the inten­tion of the authors!
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by babayaga.
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.

Do E/​F Cul­ture caps to Attrib­utes apply only at Char­ac­ter Cre­ation? 2 years 9 months ago #3774

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 518
The inten­tion is that the caps apply per­ma­nently. Thus, “min­i­mum 1, max­i­mum 7″ implies that an Attribute that takes a –1 at char­gen can never be cho­sen as the cen­tral Attribute of that char­ac­ter, as it can never even get to 8, let alone 9.

We actu­ally wanted to make the +1 or –1 derived from Cul­ture be applic­a­ble on top of the Attribute’s rat­ing. The tech­ni­cal impli­ca­tion would have been that this would have made rais­ing the Attribute in play less or more costly respec­tively. When your Attribute is not 6, but actu­ally 5 (+1), rais­ing it to 7 is less expen­sive, as you actu­ally only have to pay for for the raise from 5 (+1) to 6 (+1), not from 6 to 7. We only decided against this as it would have been one more thing to keep track of.

That said our inten­tion is that choices made at char­gen have a per­ma­nent defin­ing influ­ence on the character.
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Allan, babayaga
Mod­er­a­tors: Mozusuke, Phil, Michael
Time to cre­ate page: 0.141 sec­onds