Wel­come, Guest
User­name: Pass­word: Remem­ber me

TOPIC: skill cap?

skill cap? 4 years 8 months ago #3573

• Anarak
  • Thank you received: 67
Hello,

Not sure if its writ­ten any­where, but is there a max­i­mum level for skills, like 9 or 13? Other than the pas­sion limit of 25 ofc.
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Allan

skill cap? 4 years 8 months ago #3575

• Allan
  • Thank you received: 131
And and another ques­tion; Is Drama, being a PA, capped at 5, or can it go higher, if hoarded by a player.

I think skills cap at 9, if you look at the pg 20 chart!

Or page 19, a skill dice pool may never be higher than twice the gov­ern­ing attribute. Assum­ing that is not includ­ing PA’s if applic­a­ble. But it then goes on to say that Attribute and Skill val­ues range from 18 with one skill and one attribute at level 9.

Con­fused by this. If the first part is cor­rect, then you could have an attribute at 8 and there­fore a skill at a max. of 15. It must be includ­ing PA’s.

Allan
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shack­led we are bound
Free­dom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Allan.
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Michael, Anarak

skill cap? 4 years 8 months ago #3578

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 518
Allan wrote:
And and another ques­tion; Is Drama, being a PA, capped at 5, or can it go higher, if hoarded by a player.

Yes, of course; it is a PA.

Allan wrote:
I think skills cap at 9, if you look at the pg 20 chart!

Yes again, and it is also spelled out on p19.

Allan wrote:
Or page 19, a skill dice pool may never be higher than twice the gov­ern­ing attribute. Assum­ing that is not includ­ing PA’s if applic­a­ble. But it then goes on to say that Attribute and Skill val­ues range from 18 with one skill and one attribute at level 9.

I don’t see why there is any con­fu­sion. There are two the­o­ret­i­cal caps in place all the time, i.e. there’s no alter­na­tive, both apply: Skill cap 8 or 9, Skill dice pool lower than twice applic­a­ble Attribute.
(It says dice pool because the Skill rat­ing may actu­ally be higher).
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Allan, Anarak

skill cap? 4 years 8 months ago #3579

• Anarak
  • Thank you received: 67
Yeah, sorry, it was pretty obvi­ous, i just wanted to be sure and was too tired to read with atten­tion.

Any­way, what i really was going to ask is why skills don’t go up to 1213 like pro­fi­cien­cies, or bet­ter yet, how would the sys­tem would behave? I mean, there’s noth­ing wrong with it, its cer­tainly less of a hur­dle to play less dice than more for a sin­gle roll task. But since i was think­ing of hack­ing social com­bat or per­haps “skill com­bat”, i was think­ing it would be best to make it look more like a pro­fi­ciency. Maybe task dif­fi­culty increases up to 6 instead of 5? Attrib­utes already go over 9 for non-​humans, so is the skill cap a human cap or a sys­tem cap?

skill cap? 4 years 8 months ago #3580

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 518
Anarak wrote:
Attrib­utes already go over 9 for non-​humans, so is the skill cap a human cap or a sys­tem cap?

First of all wouldn’t phrase it as “non-​humans”, even though basi­cally true. No PC and no crea­ture that could be con­sid­ered as “playable” can have an Attribute higher than 9, includ­ing non-​humans, where those exist.

That said the cap is a sys­tem cap. The sys­tem knows two basic types of Checks, those of a sin­gle rat­ing and those of a pool. Pools are always made up in such a way that the dice in them are about twice as many as in the Checks of sin­gle rat­ings, as the pools are always split in two parts rolled seper­ately. In the end, the num­ber of dice in any given roll, whether of a sin­gle rat­ing or a pool, thus remains rel­a­tively con­sis­tent.

If you want to develop a social com­bat mechanic with Maneu­vers etc. I advise you to also come up with an entirely new sets of derived Attrib­utes, like HT+CG, HT+TY, etc. to make up one part of the social pool, have soemthing else make up the other half, and then require it to be split. Thus you retain con­sis­tency in what the QoS mean.
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil
Mod­er­a­tors: Mozusuke, Phil, Michael
Time to cre­ate page: 0.144 sec­onds