Wel­come, Guest
User­name: Pass­word: Remem­ber me

TOPIC: Why do swords wielded 1H or 2H have shorter reach with 2H?

Why do swords wielded 1H or 2H have shorter reach with 2H? 4 years 1 week ago #3797

• willard
My play­ers had this ques­tion recently and I wasn’t able to come up with an ade­quate rea­son. Per­haps some­one can enlighten me a bit?
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.

Why do swords wielded 1H or 2H have shorter reach with 2H? 4 years 1 week ago #3802

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 518
Reach is not just weapon length plus arm length. One also needs to fig­ure into the equa­tion how a weapon can be used with a cer­tain type of grip.

One handed, you can (and usu­ally will) attack some­waht side­ways, with your weapon arm’s shoul­der for­ward, thus you can gauge Reach from the nearer shoul­der, whereas you would of course have to use the far shoul­der for twohanded use. One handed, you can extend your effec­tive reach by lean­ing for­ward from the hip or even lung­ing, both of which are not pos­si­ble with twohanded use. Con­se­quently, twohanded has shorter Reach.
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: willard

Why do swords wielded 1H or 2H have shorter reach with 2H? 4 years 6 days ago #3805

• Cer­tic
  • Thank you received: 24
Try it — pick up a stick or some­thing in one hand and see how far you can reach with it. Now try again hold­ing it with both hands.
Mod­er­a­tors: Mozusuke, Phil, Michael
Time to cre­ate page: 0.132 sec­onds