Wel­come, Guest
User­name: Pass­word: Remem­ber me

TOPIC: Heal­ing too powerful?

Heal­ing too pow­er­ful? 3 years 2 months ago #3459

• Aghori
  • Thank you received: 15
Hello,
last night we did char­ac­ter cre­ation for two of my four play­ers. One chose to put 8 points into the heal­ing skill, mak­ing him one of the best heal­ers in the world. The skill descrip­tions says, using heal­ing for first aid, you get one point of pain back for every suc­cess rolled.
First ques­tion: Is that the pain num­ber of the wound before reduc­ing it by TY?

Sec­ond ques­tion: If not, isn’t that too pow­er­ful? Assum­ing you have a level V blunt wound to the face with 10 pain. Reduced by TY to — say — 5. The doc­tor scores 5 suc­cesses — and the PC doesn’t feel the pain any­more. He can con­tinue gam­ing with­out penalty. Is that cal­cu­la­tion right?

Third ques­tion: How does first aid affect long time heal­ing? Are the removed pain points com­pletely gone? Or is only the penalty gone and the points have to be healed later?

Thanks and regards,
R.
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.

Heal­ing too pow­er­ful? 3 years 2 months ago #3462

• Allan
  • Thank you received: 131
Hello,
Try to help, but no expert.

The Heal­ing QoS, is reduc­ing Pain regard­less of TY. So before TY reduc­tion.
If you wanted to house rule to make it dif­fer­ent, you could vary the TN by the would type.
I have no med­ical knowl­edge, but I would think bleed­ing edge wounds would be the eas­i­est. fol­lowed by Pierc­ing and then Blunt (bag of forzen pees!).
Or the First Aid still needs some sort of drug/​medicine to help relieve the pain, sim­ply dress­ing the wound does not help.
This could be on a scale of Pain. So up to 3 pain first aid works as writ­ten but higher lev­els of pain require tools/​supplies, table, get­ting into surgery etc to help out.
Not really a big game fac­tor but maybe the char­ac­ter only has so many doses and has to buy make/​find more.

First Aid only alle­vi­ates the pain effect, but the patient still needs to take it easy. Those heal­ing checks are done with full pain to reduce the injury.

Prob­a­bly not much help and I sup­pose what I am get­ting at is to house rule as required to suit your group.
For my group with only one player, I have not looked at any house rule as I don’t want him bed rid­den for weeks. We just want to move the story along. And that is prob­a­bly the best way to han­dle it. Don’t treat in (get it) like Harn. We don’t want infec­tion and invalid time, we want to tell rip­ping sto­ries. Just hand wave that bor­ing stuff away and embrace the GORE.

Allan
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shack­led we are bound
Free­dom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Michael, Aghori

Heal­ing too pow­er­ful? 3 years 2 months ago #3468

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 518
Aghori wrote:
First ques­tion: Is that the pain num­ber of the wound before reduc­ing it by TY?

Pain is a gen­eral mea­sure of the sever­ity of a wound. TY does of course not reduce the sever­ity of the wound, it merely allows you to grit your teeth and carry on despite of the wound. So the Pain num­ber is reduced by Heal­ing Suc­cesses before sub­tract­ing TY. But:

Aghori wrote:
Sec­ond ques­tion: Assum­ing you have a level V blunt wound to the face with 10 pain. Reduced by TY to — say — 5. The doc­tor scores 5 suc­cesses — and the PC doesn’t feel the pain any­more. He can con­tinue gam­ing with­out penalty.

The cal­cu­la­tion is indeed right, but your word­ing isn’t. The pateient will still be in a lot of pain from this wound. But when it really mat­ters, when the adren­a­lin kicks in, he is just tough enough to grit his teeth suf­fi­ciently to be not notice­ably impaired by the wound. He has no mechan­i­cal penalty. Which is not to say that he will not very much want to take it easy and will not be in pain. Also, if he doesn’t take it easy he will have a hard time fully heal­ing (see p188).

Aghori wrote:
Third ques­tion: How does first aid affect long time heal­ing? Are the removed pain points com­pletely gone? Or is only the penalty gone and the points have to be healed later?

We could have worded this more clearly. :banghead

The wound does indeed need to be healed nor­mally, that is from the unre­duced Pain rat­ing. First aid is merely to prop­erly clean, set, and dress the wound, it reduces the con­se­quences of the wound, but not the actual sever­ity of the wound. If the shat­tered jaw­bone from your exam­ple Pain 10 Blunt to the face is prop­erly set, the pain is already much less when you are mov­ing about; but it is not yet healed…
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Aghori
Mod­er­a­tors: Mozusuke, Phil, Michael
Time to cre­ate page: 0.145 sec­onds