Wel­come, Guest
User­name: Pass­word: Remem­ber me

TOPIC: Explod­ing Dice

Explod­ing Dice 4 years 11 months ago #3131

• Anarak
  • Thank you received: 67
Hello,

TRoS had explod­ing dice to achieve higher than 10 TNs, which was a bit ugly to be hon­est, but that’s not the explod­ing i’m talk­ing about.

So, should Blade fea­ture explod­ing dices for achieve extra suc­cesses?

This would be extra handy for attribute checks which usu­ally have a larger suc­cess require­ment, even if the chance is still a bit low.

For those who don’t know about explod­ing mechan­ics (which should be few), you basi­cally roll an extra dice when­ever you roll the max­i­mum num­ber on your dice (vari­a­tions exist ofc). So, in Blade’s case, when­ever one would roll a 12, he would pick another dice and roll it. Basi­cally it means every­thing is pos­si­ble, even if remotely.

Thoughts?
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.

Explod­ing Dice 4 years 11 months ago #3132

• Allan
  • Thank you received: 131
Or, as GM you make the call as to how much you would like the PC’s to suc­ceed and base the suc­cess require­ment around that. So no extra mechanic, if only minor to remem­ber. As GM the suc­cess require­ment does not have to be real­is­tic, it could be based on enter­tain­ment value, plot advance­ment etc.
Allan
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shack­led we are bound
Free­dom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Michael

Explod­ing Dice 4 years 11 months ago #3134

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 518
Anarak wrote:
So, should Blade fea­ture explod­ing dices for achieve extra successes?

You won’t be sur­prised that I, as one of the design­ers who con­si­cously omit­ted the mechanic, say no.

Here’s why:

We don’t like the “all things are acchievale” think­ing. Some things are not pos­si­ble, some things can­not be attained.

PCs already are very capa­ble, and the PA mechanic makes them even more so — it accounts for any extra “boost” from resolve or what­ever any­body might want to see accounted for.

With dice­pools of around seven and d12, an explod­ing dice mechanic wouldn’t add any­thing worth­while. Let’s say that you have about half a die “explode” on the aver­age, in turn adding an aver­age of half a Suc­cess, for a total of a quar­ter Suc­cess. That quar­ter Suc­cess will not nor­mally make a dif­fer­ence, and we absolutely do not want to encour­age play­ers to try feats where they have to hope, at odds of one against four, on this addi­tional Suc­cess to suc­ceed. We did this, because we do not want PCs to attempt plainly ridicu­lous acts and also set up the Botch mechanic accord­ingly. PAs are what makes the PCs suc­ceed against the odds. not hop­ing fer­vently on explod­ing dice.

Allan wrote:
As GM the suc­cess require­ment does not have to be real­is­tic, it could be based on enter­tain­ment value, plot advance­ment etc.

Absolutely! It does how­ever depend on the style of the par­tic­u­lar group how much incon­sis­tency in the dif­fculty of tasks the play­ers are going to accept with­out view­ing ref­eree fiat as a deal­breaker. That needs to be kept in mind.
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil

Explod­ing Dice 4 years 11 months ago #3218

• Anarak
  • Thank you received: 67
Yeah I fig­ured it would be some­thing along this train of though haha. I’m com­pletely biased because I’ve grown on sto­ry­teller and 7th sea. In 7th sea explod­ing dice is much more impac­tant and TONS of fun :woohoo:

I was fear­ing it could mess the mechan­ics, not so much on play­ers bet­ting on hope or if every­thing is achiev­able or not (i’ll usu­ally say if some­thing could be done or not), but as you pointed so, it will come very rarely in each hand rolled, thus not affect­ing that much. Since my group is also very nos­tal­gic of 7th sea and sto­ry­teller i’ll give it a go.
Or, as GM you make the call as to how much you would like the PC’s to suc­ceed and base the suc­cess require­ment around that. So no extra mechanic, if only minor to remem­ber. As GM the suc­cess require­ment does not have to be real­is­tic, it could be based on enter­tain­ment value, plot advance­ment etc.

Well, explod­ing dice are more about the extra omfh feel­ing you get when you get an extra suc­cess or the enemy does, it enhances the adren­a­line a lit­tle bit, at least for me, so its not about hop­ing you can do some­thing or not. Well, at least for basic suc­cesses, 7th sea encour­ages peo­ple do to fancy stuff by chal­leng­ing your­self and increas­ing the dif­fi­culty of a check, so only then you could be hop­ing on explod­ing dice.

As per mak­ing up results i’m against that. Usu­ally when i’m pre­pin’ i’ll stat out the major tests that are obvi­ous to come so I don’t risk being biased on the fly, and then when the test comes my PCs know what’s the dif­fi­culty. If i’m impro­vis­ing i’ll just say how many suc­cesses they need. Even if for some rea­son I want secrecy, i’ll state it in gen­eral words what is to be expected.

One thing I learned is to go away with is unnec­es­sary rolls, spe­cially if I need it for plot advance­ment or sim­ply to com­pose a bet­ter story/​fun. I’ll either go away with these rolls and sim­ply nar­rate a scene or maybe i’ll have the per­son with the worst stat/​skill to roll, if he passes i’ll just have every­one else pass.

If the chal­lenge is some­thing more cen­tral to the plot, like climb­ing the steep walls of Cas­tle Doom or break into the Vaults of the Supreme Emperor then i’ll have each and every­one make a check. If they are walk­ing down a city street and decide to smash a door open, i’ll just let them.

The type of fun from explod­ing dice then is, while climb­ing cas­tle doom you need 4 sucesses which is hard but not impos­si­ble for your mas­ter thief, but he rolls bad and got 3, but wait! one of those sucesses came out a 12! Let’s re-​roll that. Ten­sion at the table. Drums drum and yeah! a suc­cess! Every­one cheers. I mean, it’s cer­tainly more spetac­u­lar in 7th sea where an explod­ing dice could up a rolling hand from 17 to 48, but for nos­tal­gia it should bring a sim­i­lar feel­ing, or so i hope.

Yeah, i guess i should be ask­ing “could Blade fea­ture explod­ing dice with­out mess­ing things?” hehe

But i ramble

Explod­ing Dice 4 years 11 months ago #3221

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 518
Anarak wrote:
I was fear­ing it could mess the mechan­ics, not so much on play­ers bet­ting on hope or if every­thing is achiev­able or not (i’ll usu­ally say if some­thing could be done or not), but as you pointed so, it will come very rarely in each hand rolled, thus not affect­ing that much. Since my group is also very nos­tal­gic of 7th sea and sto­ry­teller i’ll give it a go.

As the mechan­i­cal impact with d12 is surely going to be neg­li­gi­ble and if you’re group hap­pens to like that kind of thing, go right ahead. :)

There is a minor awk­ward­ness with T 12, as explod­ing dice will screw up the pro­gres­sion of math­e­mat­i­cal suc­cess prob­a­bil­i­ties from TN 10 to TN 11 to TN 12, but as it does not effect the prob­a­bil­ity pro­gres­sion notice­ably and if you’re group isn’t the kind of nit-​pickers who take excep­tion at that…
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil
Mod­er­a­tors: Mozusuke, Phil, Michael
Time to cre­ate page: 0.144 sec­onds