Wel­come, Guest
User­name: Pass­word: Remem­ber me

TOPIC: Hav­ing mul­ti­ple com­bat proficiencies

Hav­ing mul­ti­ple com­bat pro­fi­cien­cies 5 years 2 days ago #3056

• JacobJ
  • Thank you received: 1
My play­ers have all focused on one com­bat pro­fi­ciency, since being able to default to the oth­ers seems to defeat the pur­pose of hav­ing more than one. Are we miss­ing a rea­son to choose more than one com­bat proficiency?
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.

Hav­ing mul­ti­ple com­bat pro­fi­cien­cies 5 years 1 day ago #3061

• Allan
  • Thank you received: 131
Not sure, but you could rule that hav­ing default pro­fi­cien­cies does not allow any­thing but basic manoeu­vres. Its not real train­ing.
Allan
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shack­led we are bound
Free­dom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: JacobJ

Hav­ing mul­ti­ple com­bat pro­fi­cien­cies 5 years 1 day ago #3064

• JacobJ
  • Thank you received: 1
Good idea!

It could be a house rule along these lines:

When default­ing from one melee pro­fi­ciency to another, in addi­tion to the dice pool penalty as per table 3.0 on page 9091, only the most sim­ple maneu­vers can be used. These are:
Attack­ing: Bash, Cut, Thrust, Toss, Grap­ple
Defend­ing: Evade, Block, Parry, Grap­ple
The point is to pro­vide an incen­tive to spe­cial­ize in more than a sin­gle melee proficiency.

Hav­ing mul­ti­ple com­bat pro­fi­cien­cies 5 years 1 day ago #3065

• Anarak
  • Thank you received: 67
I have the knowl­edge that defaults only stack up to a max­i­mum of 6 points, that being the caveat of only going with a sin­gle prof­i­cency, but since i dropped my book with a friend i can’t point you to a page.

I per­son­ally wouldn’t add another penalty, defaults mean you picked up a few side things as you learned to fight, which comes with the job, it doesn’t mean you are incom­pe­tent at said things. Then again you don’t need such penal­ties if defaults only go to 6, that being the penalty.

Now, despite think­ing the default sys­tem is awe­some, there’s the draw­back that when improv­ing a lower prof. you will be below default for a while, thus being a moot improv­ment until you go over your the default and start to “prop­erly” learn a dis­tin­guished style. My house rule is that improv­ing a prof. in such a case requires 1 less PA until you go over the default, much like learn­ing a new prof. from scratch in which you already have a default.

Hav­ing mul­ti­ple com­bat pro­fi­cien­cies 5 years 1 day ago #3067

• Doresh
  • Thank you received: 25
That’s just another rea­son to start out with a sin­gle Pro­fi­ciency: Other Pro­fi­cien­cies you learn from scratch start at their best default value. That’s prob­a­bly the most effi­cient usage accord­ing to Raw: Focus on one melee and ranged Pro­fi­ciency, wait till it is suf­fi­ciently high and then branch out to effec­tively negate the default­ing penalty.

I can nei­ther recall nor find any­thing about this default­ing top­ping out at 6.

Hav­ing mul­ti­ple com­bat pro­fi­cien­cies 5 years 1 day ago #3068

• Anarak
  • Thank you received: 67
Yeah, that’s what I advised my play­ers to do, spe­cially since all of the 4 except one went with a low pro­fi­ciency pri­or­ity. They either spent every­thing into a sin­gle melee or split between one melee and one ranged prof. It’s kinda of a per­va­sive thought in the entire sys­tem which calls for spe­cial­iza­tion over gen­er­al­iza­tion.

I remem­ber see­ing this default lim­i­ta­tion to 6 at beta draft, but i don’t remem­ber see­ing in final, might’ve been dropped, although i’d much rather the for­mer rul­ing.

With­out it, i’d be inclined to OP’s thought, although i’m much more of a car­rot than stick kinda per­son. i.e.: i’d like more that there were pos­i­tive rea­sons to buy dif­fer­ent pro­fi­cien­cies rather than neg­a­tive rea­sons to only stick to one.

Hav­ing mul­ti­ple com­bat pro­fi­cien­cies 4 years 11 months ago #3096

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 518
You’re not miss­ing any­thing, JAcobJ. We delib­er­ately designed the game to refelct that fight­ing skill with one weapon and fight­ing skill with another are not two com­pletely dif­fer­ent things, as much of com­bat is about tim­ing, foot­work, and adju­cat­ing your oppo­nent. Those things, as well as mov­ing out of harm’s way your­self, are the same no mat­ter what weapon you hap­pen to be hold­ing in your hand.

I would for this rea­son not even go so far as to dis­al­low any­thing but basic Maneu­vers when oper­at­ing from default. The max­i­mum I, per­son­ally, would still be some­what com­fort­able with is demand­ing +1 Acti­va­tion Cost for fancy Maneu­vers from pure default.

And the max­i­mum default of 6 was indeed only in the early test­ing drafts, a left­over from TRoS, which we dropped once our own under­stand­ing of West­ern mar­tial arts increased. It was quite obvi­ously put into TRoS for rea­sons of con­ser­v­a­tive cau­tion, some­thing for which we saw no need what­so­ever in a game where the PCs are intended to be major badasses.
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Allan
Mod­er­a­tors: Mozusuke, Phil, Michael
Time to cre­ate page: 0.147 sec­onds