Wel­come, Guest
User­name: Pass­word: Remem­ber me

TOPIC: Doomed and Cursed

Doomed and Cursed 5 years 3 weeks ago #3030

I’ve had trou­ble under­stand­ing “doomed”. There’s a ref­er­ence to the Curse mys­tery, but that just raised more ques­tions.

Is the “doom” a pre­planned event? Is the tim­ing planned? Is it not planned at the start, but invoked in a par­tic­u­lar sit­u­a­tion, like when the char­ac­ter faces some par­tic­u­lar dan­ger, chal­lenge (like pick­ing an inverse pas­si­ton attribute)? I sup­pose since there’s a ref­er­ence to curse level, it involves a chance of sur­vival each time it’s faced. Could I have some exam­ples?

Is this some­thing picked by the player/​group (also like inverse PA)?

When I go to the curse descrip­tion, I see a ref­er­ence to “dire con­se­quences” which is writ­ten in bold. I couldn’t find a def­i­n­i­tion of that either. I’d say just about any weapon attack, for exam­ple, could result in a “dire con­se­quence”. Again, maybe some exam­ples would help.
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.

Doomed and Cursed 5 years 3 weeks ago #3038

• Phil
  • Thank you received: 133
Hi Khillesi!

“Is the doom a pre­planned event?“

That depends upon the dis­cus­sion that occurs between the ref­eree and the player when being Doomed is cho­sen by the player as an aspect of the character’s story he wants played out. It is cer­tainly within his purvue to sug­gest in broad strokes who it affects, “The curse falls in turn upon the eldest son in the blood line.” , but typ­i­cally not how it will man­i­fest itself. Those details typ­i­cally go to the ref­eree and can be a lot of fun for both in that man­ner. The only thing cer­tain about the doom is that if it does not effect the char­ac­ter directly it must tar­get some­thing so essen­tial to the char­ac­ter that it might as well be falling on the char­ac­ter itself.

Dire Con­se­quences refer to moments that are han­dled by Checks, and whether they be Skill or Attribute spe­cific is not impor­tant. The only impor­tant qual­i­fier is that doing poorly on the Check could lead to dis­as­ter. Yes, melee could count, while mount­ing his horse would not, but his horse jump­ing a yawn­ing chasm would indeed count.

One of my play­ers took doom and pre­ferred not to have any knowl­edge of the nature of the curse, deter­mined to explore every­thing through actual play, and it became a strong back­ground cam­paign theme for all of us.

Hope this helps!
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Allan, Khillesl

Doomed and Cursed 4 years 11 months ago #3090

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 518
Hello Khillesl, and a belated wel­come to the forum! :)

Let me add to what Phil already said with some exam­ples of “Doom” I have encoun­tered in play:

A PC who vio­lated a tribal taboo had his tribal totem spirit after him. No fixed tim­ing until the demise, but with a minor deity actively out to get him rather cer­tain doom…

A PC (rather like Elric of Mel­ni­bonè) who had turned trai­tor on his own peo­ple had all the sur­vivors of his entire race out to get him. As they were after the trea­son scat­tered all over the world, he vir­tu­ally had thou­sands of deathly ene­mies liv­ing in dis­placed com­mu­ni­ties every­where. No fixed tim­ing, but pretty many pow­er­ful deathly ene­mies…

A PC had some kind of death curse placed upon him by the world’s most pow­er­ful sor­cerer. Cat­a­stro­phes were going to haunt him until he died in mis­ery. Again not fixed.

A PC (and this I con­m­sider rather lame) was sim­ply ter­mi­nally ill. He had about two to three months to live. This one was timed roughly.

You prob­a­bly see sev­eral things emerge:

A “Doom” is usu­ally com­pletely cen­tral to the char­ac­ter con­cept; it dom­i­nates every­thing.

A “Doom” can be a timed event, but more often will no tbe.

Some “Dooms” are set up to be avoid­able — the tribal spirit might con­ceiv­ably appeased, the sor­cerer might con­ceiv­ably be moved to retract his curse, a cure for the incur­able ill­ness might con­ceiv­ably be found -, but oth­ers aren’t. If you have alien­ated an entire race, mak­ing peace with all of them is not likely. It’s up to the player to desing the “Doom”, with some input from the ref­eree. The ref­eree needs to make sure that there are no easy or obvi­ous loop­holes — but some play­ers are not even inter­ested in them, pre­fer­ring a cool con­cept in the first place.
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Khillesl

Doomed and Cursed 4 years 11 months ago #3126

Thank you for your responses. Who knew that “doom” could be so fun? :) I even like the ter­mi­nal ill­ness idea, if the char­ac­ter is aware and acts accordingly.

Doomed and Cursed 4 years 11 months ago #3127

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 518
Khillesl wrote:
Who knew that “doom” could be so fun?

It can be huge fun — if it is not just cho­sen merely as a means to get that F Pick out of the way. It works best if the thing that haunts the PC is made the cen­tral fea­ture of the entire character.
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil
Mod­er­a­tors: Mozusuke, Phil, Michael
Time to cre­ate page: 0.141 sec­onds