Wel­come, Guest
User­name: Pass­word: Remem­ber me

TOPIC: learn­ing mys­ter­ies and arcane secrets

learn­ing mys­ter­ies and arcane secrets 1 year 9 months ago #3776

• Anarak
  • Thank you received: 66
Hey!

The idea of the sor­cerer learn­ing extra mys­ter­ies plus an arcane secret has popped up.

So, can a dab­bler or sor­cerer learn the miss­ing mys­ter­ies they have no knowl­edge about? Does it cost xp? Or is it only the stuff of a quest? Both?

Like­wise, can a dab­bler, sor­cerer ever learn an arcane secret? How is the process of learn­ing or dis­cov­ery an arcane secret for the mys­te­ri­arch (and dab­bler and sor­cerer if pos­si­ble)? Accord­ing to core it says its prob­a­bly a series of adven­tures and quests, which is of course a lot of fun, but does it require any pas­sion expen­di­ture?

Thanks!
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.

learn­ing mys­ter­ies and arcane secrets 1 year 9 months ago #3777

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 515
Anarak wrote:
The idea of the sor­cerer learn­ing extra mys­ter­ies plus an arcane secret has popped up.

Extra Mys­ter­ies are pos­si­ble up to the max­i­mum deter­mined by the build type of the sor­cerer, i.e. 2 Lesser for Dab­blers, 3 Lesser and 1 Greater OR 6 Lesser for Sor­cer­ers, and unlim­ited for Mys­te­ri­archs.

There is no canon when these Mys­teires have to be cho­sen. That really depends on the fiat of the ref­eree (for one time!). He may ask that all Mys­teires, even those that the PC does not yet know how to employ, be cho­sen at char­gen, or he can let it com­pletely open. If he’s com­fort­able with that and it fits the role of sor­cer­ers in set­ting he might even allow the player of a B-​Pick sor­cerer start­ing out know­ing how to employ only three or less Lesser Mys­ter­ies to only decide later on whether he wants his PC to become a 3+1 or 6 type sor­cerer.

The default for learn­ing new Mys­ter­ies is that no actual in-​game actions are required, but this depends strongly on the back­ground of the PC. Player and ref should talk about that a bit. If the PC is a fully-​fledged sor­cer­ous char­ac­ter with proper train­ing it is rea­son­able to agree that no study­ing is nec­es­sary for devel­op­ing a new Mys­tery from 0 to 1; it can be assumed that the basic train­ing has been done and any time the sor­cerer now devotes a bit of atten­tion to the Mys­tery he will be able to open it up. Con­se­quently, sor­cer­ous PCs of even the intu­itive type may well not need any exte­rior cir­cum­stances to develop new Mys­ter­ies; it can be assumed that that they may at any time develop a new sor­cer­ous tal­ent. The same holds true for sor­cer­ers of the priest, cultist, or “deal-with-the-devil”-type, who are con­sid­ered (!) to derive their pow­ers from some super­nat­ural crea­ture; here it can be assumed that his rela­tion deep­ens and so a new power devel­ops, or that the patron is sim­ply grant­ing it to allow the sor­cerer to wreak even more havoc, but demand­ing that some ser­vice is per­formed is of course also rea­son­able.

It is thus pretty much only with those whose back­ground is one of some kind of incom­plete train­ing who should rea­son­ably almost always be required to study or actu­ally do some­thing in-​game to develop a new Mys­tery.

Depend­ing on the set­ting this “doing” might be sim­ple or not, and it might be as diverse as sim­ply study­ing, or first hav­ing to find a source of knowl­edge before being able to study, or per­form some ser­vice or sac­ri­fice — this really depends on the kind of sor­cerer we’re deal­ing with. But if it is dif­fi­cult or lenghty the player could rea­son­ably expect some boon for hav­ing in the first place agreed to play­ing a PC who an’t eas­ily develop his pow­ers. I would leave that up to nego­ti­a­tions between ref and player.

Anarak wrote:
So, can a dab­bler or sor­cerer learn the miss­ing mys­ter­ies they have no knowl­edge about? Does it cost xp? Or is it only the stuff of a quest? Both?

Extra Mys­ter­ies, beyond the lim­its deter­mined by Sor­cery Pick, are never pos­si­ble. Keep in mind that Blade is designed to sup­port the idea of play­ers cre­at­ing new PCs not infre­quently; thus Karma. Char­gen choices are there­fore eas­ily defin­ing for as long as a player is sup­posed to play any iven PC (longer, actu­ally).

Anarak wrote:
Like­wise, can a dab­bler, sor­cerer ever learn an arcane secret? How is the process of learn­ing or dis­cov­ery an arcane secret for the mys­te­ri­arch (and dab­bler and sor­cerer if pos­si­ble)? Accord­ing to core it says its prob­a­bly a series of adven­tures and quests, which is of course a lot of fun, but does it require any pas­sion expenditure?

The pre­rquisite for know­ing Arcane Secrets is also know­ing at least one Greater Mys­tery. They are there­fore absolutely lim­ited to Mys­te­ri­archs and the 3+1 type of Sor­cerer.

Obtain­ing them does not cost PA points, but usu­ally dan­ger­ous and quite lengthy quests. Three ses­sions devoted pre­dom­i­nantly to track­ing down an Arcane Secret seems to me to be the min­i­mum, and about four or five ses­sions a fine num­ber.

PAs are only involved inas­far as I would never, ever, not in a thou­sand ses­sions, let a PC who doesn’t have a PA about acquir­ing a cer­tain Arcane Secret acquire it. The player obvi­ously doesn’t care about that…
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Michael.
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Allan, Anarak

learn­ing mys­ter­ies and arcane secrets 1 year 8 months ago #3779

• Anarak
  • Thank you received: 66
Many thanks! This is pretty much how I thought it worked.

Just a sim­ple last ques­tion: Should an arcane user (of any level) be allowed to use one of its known mys­ter­ies that is at level 0 profi­ciêncy, doing so with only his raw power? Or does such per­son only actu­ally and definetly knows said mys­tery if invest­ing at least one point?
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Anarak.

learn­ing mys­ter­ies and arcane secrets 1 year 8 months ago #3780

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 515
Anarak wrote:
Should an arcane user (of any level) be allowed to use one of its known mys­ter­ies that is at level 0 profi­ciêncy, doing so with only his raw power?

That is a good ques­tion — and one to which there is no canon­i­cal answer.

As a ref­eree I myself have used both “yes” and “no” as an answer. I find that it once again depends on the set­ting and the type of sor­cerer one is deal­ing with, as above, and so is some­thing about which ref­eree and player should reach an under­stand­ing at char­ac­ter cre­ation. Gen­er­ally speak­ing, both approaches are fine and work well, though any one of them might be very far off the mark for cer­tain types of PCs.

In one of the first cam­paigns of Blade ever played both PCs were of the Dabbler-​type. One knew two Mys­ter­ies, the other none. The player of the lat­ter had no inten­tion of hav­ing his PC use any sor­cery, but he wanted him to have access to sor­cer­ous Skills, and to at least have the option, if if the in-​game devel­op­ment of the char­ac­ter was to go in this direc­tion, to later maybe have him acquire either the Prophecy or Scry­ing Mys­tery, or both. If head­ing down this path, the con­cept of the PC would have required those pow­ers to sim­ply man­i­fest spon­ta­neously, an out­growth of the PC’s Detect Sor­cery and Pre­cog­ni­tion Skills and Hal­lu­ci­na­tions Asset. For this char­ac­ter, hav­ing him use any Mys­tery at 0 right out of the door would have been dis­as­trous for the con­cept. For other types of PCs doing so will fit the con­cept per­fectly.

So the answer is a clear and unequiv­o­cal: It depends. ;)
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Michael.
Mod­er­a­tors: Mozusuke, Phil, Michael
Time to cre­ate page: 0.126 sec­onds