Wel­come, Guest
User­name: Pass­word: Remem­ber me

TOPIC: Increas­ing magic power

Increas­ing magic power 2 years 2 months ago #3766

• Anarak
  • Thank you received: 67
Hello!

So, as far as i know or rules are con­cerned, once you set on a power level (dab­bler, sor­cerer, mys­ter­yarch) from char­ac­ter gen­er­a­tion, you’re stuck with that magic level, right? I was won­der­ing if through spend­ing hard earned pas­sion could a char­ac­ter increase its magic level? If so, how much would it cost to increase dab­bler to sor­cerer & sor­cerer to mys­ter­yarch?

I won­der if even per­haps a char­ac­ter with­out mag­i­cal abil­ity could bring itself to learn such arts, maybe if just becom­ing a mere dab­bler.

Thanks!
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Anarak.
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.

Increas­ing magic power 2 years 2 months ago #3767

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 515
Well, it was of course delib­er­ate that we set up access to Sor­cery like that, but if you want to allow becom­ing (more) sor­cer­ous there’s not really any design-​reason to absolutely for­bid it. I would just make it damn hard and painful. My sug­ges­tion would be:

25 PA points to be spent in one fell swoop and only one increase ever pos­si­ble, never more

The 25 PA points insure the painful­ness: To get all PAs up to max­i­mum at the same time the player is sure to waste a cou­ple which he can­not take for rea­sons of the PA being cur­rently full. So the actual cost is going to be more in the region of 30 points — which is still not too much, see­ing what the cost and ben­e­fits of obtain­ing the Spell-​gifted Asset in play are.
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Allan, Anarak

Increas­ing magic power 2 years 2 months ago #3768

• babayaga
  • Thank you received: 2
If you look at the Karma table, you’ll notice that it’s very reward­ing (com­pared to sim­i­lar mech­a­nisms in most games). For exam­ple, start with a 0 Karma char­ac­ter. Advance it to, say, 120 Karma. Retire the char­ac­ter and then make a new one with the Karma earned by the old one. The new char­ac­ter starts off about as “advanced” as, pos­si­bly more than, the old one upon retire­ment.

We exploited this fea­ture of the game to “advance” a char­ac­ter in mag­i­cal power, while adher­ing strictly to the book rules (which are phe­nom­e­nally good), as fol­lows.

We had a dab­bler (C sor­cery pick, some gypsy-​like rogue start­ing with 0 Karma) who, after maybe half a dozen ses­sions, focused her char­ac­ter on uncov­er­ing the ancient magic secrets of her clan — the idea was to become a mys­te­ri­arch (A pick). We played maybe a dozen more ses­sions cul­mi­nat­ing in her under­go­ing an ini­ti­a­tion into a secret cult and retir­ing from the world for a seven-​years study under the tute­lage of an NPC.

The player retired the char­ac­ter, and made a new 0 Karma char­ac­ter (a Conanesque bar­bar­ian, Doomed — F sor­cery pick) with which she played another dozen or so ses­sions hav­ing a lot of fun. When the Doomed char­ac­ter met his doom (sac­ri­fic­ing him­self so he could have a spec­tac­u­lar revenge on his ene­mies) the player went back to char­ac­ter sheet of the old, retired dab­bler. She grabbed all the Karma she had accu­mu­lated (close to 200 points), and she made a “new” char­ac­ter using the book mechan­ics, mak­ing sure that it was a Mys­te­ri­arch, but in terms of Pro­fi­cien­cies, Assets etc. was as close as pos­si­ble to the retired dab­bler.

In terms of story, the “new” char­ac­ter was declared to sim­ply be the old dab­bler who had emerged from the seven years of study as a Mys­te­ri­arch. The few dif­fer­ences in skills, pro­fi­cien­cies and assets were ascribed to the fact that, you know, after 7 years of not pick­ing a lock you lock-​picking skills are going to be a bit rusted — and besides, an ini­ti­a­tion is sup­posed to change you and make you leave behind a lot of your old self. Voila! From Dab­bler to Mys­te­ri­arch by the book.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by babayaga.
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Michael

Increas­ing magic power 2 years 2 months ago #3770

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 515
Hello and wel­come, babayaga! :)

And thanks for your account! I think you han­dled the sit­u­a­tion very well and cre­atively. Even though Karma is actu­ally intended not only as a rem­edy for the pain of los­ing a chrac­ter but also as incen­tive to entice play­ers to retire char­ac­ters fre­quently. The new char­ac­ter will often be more pow­er­ful than the pre­vi­ous one!

Still, nice and cre­ative use of Karma!
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil
Mod­er­a­tors: Mozusuke, Phil, Michael
Time to cre­ate page: 0.144 sec­onds