Wel­come, Guest
User­name: Pass­word: Remem­ber me

TOPIC: A few ques­tions about Lesser Mysteries

A few ques­tions about Lesser Mys­ter­ies 2 years 8 months ago #3598

• Tamer­lin
  • Thank you received: 7
Hello,

I’m new to Blade and haven’t tested it live with my play­ers yet.
How­ever, I surely enjoy the com­bat rules (at last, real­is­tic rules in a RPG!).

Upon read­ing the Sor­cery sec­tion, and not being a native Eng­lish speaker although quite flu­ent, I have a few ques­tions regard­ing Lesser Mys­ter­ies.

Curse
I’m not sure I got the dif­fer­ence between the two types of curses described in the book.
If I under­stand cor­rectly:
– the first type of curses is “gen­eral bad luck /​evil eye”: any­time some­thing bad can hap­pen to your char­ac­ter, you suf­fer the effect from the curse PA.
– the sec­ond type of curses is more spe­cific like for instance “I curse you to never return home” in which case the curse PA would apply to the character’s attempts to find his way home or to encoun­ters on his way.
Do I get it roughly right? (Excuse the poor choice of exam­ples, if some­one has bet­ter ones to pro­vide, be my guest!)

Scry­ing
Is the Detect Sor­cery check to detect the pres­ence of a scry­ing con­scious­ness an Opposed Check?
I am con­fused because it states that the SY check is Unop­posed for a sor­cerer know­ing the Scry­ing Mys­tery.

Witch­fire
What’s the use of the table dis­played page 209?

Thank you in advance!
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Tamer­lin.
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.

A few ques­tions about Lesser Mys­ter­ies 2 years 8 months ago #3600

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 517
Hello and wel­come to the board, Tamer­lin! :) Do I gather from your forum name that you, too, are a fan of Tal­is­lanta? In that case, twice wel­come (not that you’re unwel­come oth­er­wise).

Tamer­lin wrote:
Curse
Do I get it roughly right?

You get it absolutely right. Other exam­ples would be dying in a cer­tain way or by some spe­cific person’s hands, or becom­ing a pau­per, or con­tract­ing a (cer­tain?) dis­ease, etc.

Tamer­lin wrote:
Scry­ing
Is the Detect Sor­cery check to detect the pres­ence of a scry­ing con­scious­ness an Opposed Check?

Unop­posed. Know­ing the Scry­ing Mys­tery lets you scy, it does noth­ing to make your scry­ing attempt espe­cially unob­tru­sive, so know­ing it bet­ter doesn’t make you bet­ter at avoid­ing a sen­si­tive per­son notic­ing you.

The logic behind this is to dis­cour­age friv­o­lous use of the Mys­tery. You will find in play that it is very pow­er­ful and that a sor­cerer could eas­ily spy out and thus avoid dan­ger with it. That’s fine — up to a point. To make play­ers think twice about using the Mys­tery the Check to notice them is Unop­posed, so that under some cir­cum­stances they might think it wiser for­go­ing use of the Mys­tery.

Tamer­lin wrote:
Witch­fire
What’s the use of the table dis­played page 209?

The table gives the TNs to actu­ally hit with Witch­fire at any given range. Unlike other games’ fire­balls etc. it is not an auto­matic hit, and it can be defended against.
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Tamer­lin

A few ques­tions about Lesser Mys­ter­ies 2 years 8 months ago #3601

• Tamer­lin
Hello Michael,

Thanks for your clear answers. It is nice to see a game devel­oper in touch with the com­mu­nity.

You have guessed just fine, I used to play some Tal­is­lanta, a long time ago… :)
Unfor­tu­nately my whole col­lec­tion was burnt down in an arson.

A few ques­tions about Lesser Mys­ter­ies 2 years 8 months ago #3604

• Tamer­lin
Another ques­tion for your Michael regard­ing Witch­fire affect­ing sev­eral tar­gets.
The book says : “Unlike with the other Mys­ter­ies, Checks to hit and avoid the Witch­fire attack are made indi­vid­u­ally, for every tar­get and by every tar­get. “

Does the full AP is rolled against each tar­get, or should the AP also be split among all the affected targets?

A few ques­tions about Lesser Mys­ter­ies 2 years 8 months ago #3605

• Michael
Tamer­lin wrote:
You have guessed just fine, I used to play some Tal­is­lanta, a long time ago… :)
Unfor­tu­nately my whole col­lec­tion was burnt down in an arson.

How ter­ri­ble, not just for those books. I cringe to think about some­thing like that hap­pen­ing to any­body… :(

Tamer­lin wrote:
Does the full AP is rolled against each tar­get, or should the AP also be split among all the affected targets?

The full AP is rolled. As the QoS of the Cast­ing Check, which fuels the Witch­fire AP, is already reduced for affect­ing more than one tar­get, split­ting the AP would be penal­iz­ing it twice.

Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Michael.
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Tamer­lin

A few ques­tions about Lesser Mys­ter­ies 2 years 8 months ago #3606

• Tamer­lin
Thanks again for the clar­i­fi­ca­tion!
One last on the mat­ter of Witch­fire Mys­tery (I think^^):
It says: “The Dam­age Table and AVs used are the ones most closely cor­re­spond­ing to the man­i­fes­ta­tion of Witch­fire, or Cleav­ing if none seems to fit out­right.“

What about using Cleav­ing dam­age on an armor where Cleav­ing dam­age do not apply, like Plate?
Should we rather go for Blunt directly? (I know I’m being picky)
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Tamer­lin.

A few ques­tions about Lesser Mys­ter­ies 2 years 8 months ago #3607

• Michael
Tamer­lin wrote:
What about using Cleav­ing dam­age on an armor where Cleav­ing dam­age do not apply, like Plate?
Should we rather go for Blunt directly? (I know I’m being picky)

The hard rul­ing: Yes, of course.

But no rul­ing for Witch­fire dam­age can be absolutely hard, as the dam­age can of course take myr­iad forms, depend­ing on the actual manifestation(s) of Witch­fire in your game. It is at least the­o­ret­i­cally con­ceiv­able that the dam­age is dealt in such a way that Blunt might not be the ideal sub­si­tute even against armours that can­not actu­ally be “cut” through, in which case another sub­sti­tute would be bet­ter. Which one? Ref­eree deci­sion, but if he thinks of it he should ide­ally tell the sorcerer’s player at char­gen, and of course stick with his decision!

Mod­er­a­tors: Mozusuke, Phil, Michael
Time to cre­ate page: 0.151 sec­onds