Wel­come, Guest
User­name: Pass­word: Remem­ber me

TOPIC: Rules Clar­i­fi­ca­tion — Mys­ter­ies and Char­ac­ter Progression

Rules Clar­i­fi­ca­tion — Mys­ter­ies and Char­ac­ter Pro­gres­sion 4 years 7 months ago #2011

• Doresh
  • Thank you received: 25
First of all a lit­tle “Hello, every­one!”. I’m quite the new­bie (no vet­eran from the TROS days), but I feel quite secure with the rules so far ;)

Of course, there are a few lit­tle things that def­i­nitely need a bit of out­side help. As one can see on this title, there’s a bit of ambi­gu­ity when it comes to mys­ter­ies and char­ac­ter pro­gres­sion. Mys­ter­ies aren’t even men­tioned in the char­ac­ter proges­sion chap­ter, though I strongly sus­pect that mys­ter­ies keep being improved like Pro­fi­cien­cies well after char­ac­ter cre­ation, is this cor­rect? And is it pos­si­ble to buy new mys­ter­ies later?
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: IanP.

Rules Clar­i­fi­ca­tion — Mys­ter­ies and Char­ac­ter Pro­gres­sion 4 years 7 months ago #2014

• Phill
  • Thank you received: 10
Hi Doresh,

Yes, mys­ter­ies are improved in the same way as other pro­fi­cien­cies.
Sor­cer­ers can not acquire new mys­ter­ies but an ‘A’ pick sor­cerer can have all mys­ter­ies so can effec­tively develop mys­ter­ies they don’t ini­tially put points into.
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Michael, Phil, IanP.

Rules Clar­i­fi­ca­tion — Mys­ter­ies and Char­ac­ter Pro­gres­sion 4 years 7 months ago #2016

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 515
Hallo Doresh, und willkom­men! :)

Phill’s reply is spot on. But this part requires a slight addi­tion:

Phill wrote:
Sor­cer­ers can not acquire new mys­ter­ies but an ‘A’ pick sor­cerer can have all mys­ter­ies so can effec­tively develop mys­ter­ies they don’t ini­tially put points into.

No Mys­ter­ies above and beyond the num­ber of Mys­ter­ies deter­mined through the Sor­cery Pick at char­ac­ter gen­er­a­tion can be acquired later on. That’s cor­rect.

But a player is not required to put any points into any Mys­tery at char­ac­ter gen­er­a­tion; if he wants to, he need not put any points into Mys­ter­ies, devel­op­ing all of them trough play. A Mys­tery that is cur­rently at 0 can not be uti­lized and does not count as “being pro­fi­cient in” for sake of cal­cu­lat­ing SP (p.199).

Whether any kind of extended study­time to raise a Mys­tery from 0 to 1 is nec­es­sary is up to the group, depend­ing on what fits the set­ting. The default is that it isn’t, just some expo­sure to new occult knowl­edge and a tiny bit of time to digest it suf­fices.

It is fur­ther­more up to the group whether a sor­cerer char­ac­ter needs to chose any or all of the Mys­ter­ies he will later on be pro­fi­cient in at char­ac­ter gen­er­a­tion. My own ten­dency is towards leniency, to allow PCs to acquire those mys­ter­ies dur­ing play which do at the time seem most appro­pri­ate or inter­est­ing with­out mak­ing this choice already at char­ac­ter gen­er­a­tion.

What is set at char­ac­ter gen­er­a­tion is merely the max­i­mum nuber of Mys­ter­ies the char­ac­ter will ever be able to know.
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil

Rules Clar­i­fi­ca­tion — Mys­ter­ies and Char­ac­ter Pro­gres­sion 4 years 7 months ago #2020

• Doresh
  • Thank you received: 25
Oha, das kam uner­wartet :silly:

Any­how, that’s good to hear. I was almost fear­ing bored high-​level char­ac­ters dab­bling into magic :lol:
Mod­er­a­tors: Mozusuke, Phil, Michael
Time to cre­ate page: 0.143 sec­onds