Wel­come, Guest
User­name: Pass­word: Remem­ber me

TOPIC: Secrets

Secrets 4 years 8 months ago #1909

This is not clear to me. When arcane secrets are used, do they require con­tain­ment rolls like mys­ter­ies? If not, what is the think­ing behind that? It would seem some of them would have con­tain­ment rolls while oth­ers would not.

Thanks for your attention
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.

Secrets 4 years 8 months ago #1911

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 515
Hello Fal­con­heart, and wel­come to the board and the game! :)

Arcane Secrets use the same mechan­ics as Minor and Major Mys­ter­ies — a Sor­cery Pool split into dice for a Cast­ing and a Con­tain­ment Check.

Bring­ing up the topic of Arcane Secrets affords me the oppor­tu­nity to talk a bit about the fre­quency of them, at least as envi­sioned by us. The default for Arcane Secrets would be that they are supremely rare. The great­est sor­cer­ers in the world know two or three, other sor­cer­ers, if if com­pe­tent and regarded as pow­er­ful none. Mer­lin would know two or three, Mor­gan le Fay would know none, or maybe one at the very most, if one feels gen­er­ous towards her. That’s at least the default of the design, if noth­ing else.
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil

Secrets 4 years 8 months ago #1915

Thank you for the wel­come to the game. I have been run­ning blade for about 6 months now off and on. It is a great game sys­tem and I hope to see more mate­r­ial from you folks in the future. I would not mind see­ing an adden­dum that adds a few more Arcane Secrets and/​or a more exten­sive beas­t­iary. Good to know that Arcane secrets have cast­ing and con­tain­ment rolls. It obvi­ously applies to some of the secrets and not oth­ers based on the descrip­tion.

Given that the arcane secrets are supremely rare, why is it the Mys­te­ri­arch choice was given an arcane secret right out of the gate? I under­stand that PCs are snowflakes but is not award­ing an incred­i­bly pow­er­ful, poten­tially city lev­el­ing abil­ity, a bit much for a begin­ning char­ac­ter?

The level A for sor­cery choice is quite pow­er­ful. How­ever, I did go back and read the choice once again and it says they MAY have one. I should read more care­fully.

Anál nathrach,
orth’ bháis’s bethad,
do chél dénmha
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Fal­con­heart.
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Michael

Secrets 4 years 8 months ago #1916

• Michael
Thanks for the flow­ers, Fal­con­heart. And while both Phil and myself do not believe in game sys­tems pub­lish­ing sup­ple­ment after sup­ple­ment with lit­tle prac­ti­cal value we do have one or two ideas going round in our heads. But that’s far away, if that.

And yes, a Mys­te­ri­arch is very pow­er­ful — or can be. Truth be told, for a really pow­er­ful Mys­te­ri­arch right out of the door you need a decent Karma-​boost at char­gen. With that, you can have a sor­cerer who really kicks some major butt. Oth­er­wise, and if you want to have a Mys­te­ri­arch, you bet­ter start out by just tak­ing this Pick as an invest­ment into the future and with­out branch­ing out into too many Mys­ter­ies right from start — let alone Secrets…

Secrets 4 years 8 months ago #1918

I agree with the assess­ment that a sig­nif­i­cant karma invest­ment is needed to make the Mys­te­ri­arch pow­er­ful from the get go. I had a player decide to try it right off the bat and she is sorely dis­ap­pointed that using sor­cery is so very dif­fi­cult. She was warned.
Might I rec­om­mend a sec­tion in your forums where users can design and sub­mit such things as Arcane Secrets and their beasts for cri­tique and tweak­ing by your­selves and other play­ers. Nvm, I see that there is one already.

I am get­ting off topic here since this is for For­bid­den Lore so I will cease.

Why is it that taint fades so quickly? A lot of the S&S sto­ries depict sor­cer­ers as being fairly blighted by their traf­fick­ing with the Oth­er­world. Was this to pre­vent the sys­tem from being too puni­tive? Heal­ing the phys­i­cal takes quite a bit of time yet mys­ti­cal dam­age fades rather quickly.

Taint inhibits inter­ac­tive skills, can cause a level 1 wound, has a com­pli­ca­tion attached if it is ’ not con­tained’.

Is there some­thing I am miss­ing in how dan­ger­ous taint is?
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Fal­con­heart.

Secrets 4 years 8 months ago #1919

• Michael
Fal­con­heart wrote:
Taint inhibits inter­ac­tive skills, can cause a level 1 wound, has a com­pli­ca­tion attached if it is ’ not con­tained’.

Is there some­thing I am miss­ing in how dan­ger­ous taint is?
Sounds like your miss­ing the deduc­tion of SP dice that comes with Taint and the curse-​effect from a back­lash. Abd that the wound can, if the worst cases, be as severe as lvl 3.

Fal­con­heart wrote:
Why is it that taint fades so quickly? A lot of the S&S sto­ries depict sor­cer­ers as being fairly blighted by their traf­fick­ing with the Oth­er­world. Was this to pre­vent the sys­tem from being too punitive?
We are not afraid being puni­tive. No, the rea­son why we didn’t go with per­ma­nent or at least long-​term blight­ing was to retain a broad appl­i­cap­bil­ity of the mechan­ics. Sor­cery is the most setting-​specific part of any rpg mechanic, and so we avoided nar­row­ing down the suit­abil­ity of our mechanic by sad­dling it with a lot of atmos­pheric speci­ficity. There are quote a few S&S set­tings where visual blight­ing of sor­cer­ers wouldn’t by suit­able.

But such atmos­pheric details are more eas­ily added to than sub­tracted from a mechanic where they are already firmly built in. If you reread the last four para­graphs of the Taint-​section you will see that we actu­ally pro­vided sug­ges­tions and guide­lines for such cus­tomi­sa­tion — for those set­tings war­rant­ing it, and for those groups want­ing it.

The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: IanP.
Mod­er­a­tors: Mozusuke, Phil, Michael
Time to cre­ate page: 0.153 sec­onds