Wel­come, Guest
User­name: Pass­word: Remem­ber me

TOPIC: Do Pas­sion Attrib­utes ben­e­fit the Sor­cery Pool?

Do Pas­sion Attrib­utes ben­e­fit the Sor­cery Pool? 5 years 2 months ago #1549

• Mozusuke
  • Thank you received: 127
Do Pas­sion Attrib­utes ben­e­fit the Sor­cery Pool? I can’t find an explicit state­ment either way in the text. Am I miss­ing some­thing?

I have assumed they do until now, so that a sorcery-​oriented character’s moti­va­tions are sup­ported by the game mech­a­nisms in the same way as those who focus on wav­ing lumps of metal around . But I’m hav­ing a moment of doubt, based on find­ing when I went to check, that the text only seemed to explic­itly com­ment on Melee and Archery Pool.

(e.g. P18 in the B&W edi­tion…

“In Com­bat, PAs work in a sim­i­lar man­ner. How­ever, instead the (sic) high­est applic­a­ble PA adding its value to every roll, while in com­bat, apply the high­est applic­a­ble PA plus add +1 die for every other applic­a­ble PA, regard­less of its cur­rent rat­ing, as a scene bonus to both the character’s Melee and Archery Pools.“
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Michael

Do Pas­sion Attrib­utes ben­e­fit the Sor­cery Pool? 5 years 2 months ago #1550

• Michael
  • Thank you received: 515
Mozusuke wrote:
Do Pas­sion Attrib­utes ben­e­fit the Sor­cery Pool?
Indeed they do. The rules are, I am afraid, some­what fuzzy on it, but PAs apply to MP, AP and SP in eactly the same way. Quite as you sup­posed.

There is one way to apply PAs to rolls of just one stat (high­est applic­a­ble in full, +1 for every other that applies) and another way to apply them to rolls of the com­pos­ite MP, AP, and SP (all applic­a­ble in full).
Bow down: I am the emperor of dreams;
I crown me with the million-​colored sun
Of secret worlds incred­i­ble, and take
Their trail­ing skies for vest­ment when I soar.

Clark Ash­ton Smith, The Hashish Eater or The Apoc­a­lypse of Evil
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Mozusuke

Do Pas­sion Attrib­utes ben­e­fit the Sor­cery Pool? 5 years 2 months ago #1551

• IanP.
  • Another project nears completion…
  • Thank you received: 267
Michael wrote:
There is one way to apply PAs to rolls of just one stat (high­est applic­a­ble in full, +1 for every other that applies) and another way to apply them to rolls of the com­pos­ite MP, AP, and SP (all applic­a­ble in full).

OK, so:

If you are form­ing a named Dice Pool — Mis­sile, Com­bat, Sor­cery — then all applic­a­ble PAs apply in full.

If you are rolling against a sin­gle Stat then it is the most applic­a­ble PA +1 for each addi­tional applic­a­ble PA.

This ensures that the PAs are not over­pow­er­ing the applic­a­ble Stat, which could lead to the sit­u­a­tion where as long as your PAs apply your char­ac­ter can do just about any­thing.

Regards,
Ian P.
Fama nihil est celerius
– Noth­ing is swifter than rumour…

Do Pas­sion Attrib­utes ben­e­fit the Sor­cery Pool? 5 years 2 months ago #1552

• Michael
IanP. wrote:
This ensures that the PAs are not over­pow­er­ing the applic­a­ble Stat, which could lead to the sit­u­a­tion where as long as your PAs apply your char­ac­ter can do just about anything.
Exactly. We talked about this in the past, and how PAs (i.e. a player’s nar­ra­tive vision) mar­gin­al­iz­ing the PC’s scores would be entirely accept­able for a purely Nar­ra­tive game, or one where dif­fer­ent PC in a group are not meant to ful­fill dif­fer­ent roles, but that it would con­stitue a prob­lem with a Sim-​Nar hybrid, even one lean­ing towards the lat­ter.

And then it did always bug me per­son­ally how, in TRoS, mul­ti­ple SAs fir­ing did com­pletely over­shadow the PCs’ scores on sin­gle rolls like attribute checks, but not in rolls of com­pos­ite pools. We wanted to redress this dis­par­ity in the impor­tance of the SA/​PA.

The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: IanP.

Do Pas­sion Attrib­utes ben­e­fit the Sor­cery Pool? 5 years 2 months ago #1553

• Mozusuke
  • Thank you received: 127
Michael wrote:

I don’t have the rules with me, but I do have my pre­vi­ous paste form the B&W Edi­tion…

”“In Com­bat, PAs work in a sim­i­lar man­ner. How­ever, instead the (sic) high­est applic­a­ble PA adding its value to every roll, while in com­bat, apply the high­est applic­a­ble PA plus add +1 die for every other applic­a­ble PA, regard­less of its cur­rent rat­ing, as a scene bonus to both the character’s Melee and Archery Pools.“

This is dif­fer­ent from how I read the quote above from Michael. I believe the book says that for Pools (com­bat etc), you add high­est rel­e­vant PA +1 die for each fir­ing addi­tional PA. whereas for skill/​attribute roles, you just use the high­est applic­a­ble PA.

Unless I have mis­read or mis­re­mem­berd?

Sorry to be be picky — just want to leave a clear trail.

Do Pas­sion Attrib­utes ben­e­fit the Sor­cery Pool? 5 years 2 months ago #1554

• IanP.
Mozusuke wrote:
I believe the book says that for Pools (com­bat etc), you add high­est rel­e­vant PA +1 die for each fir­ing addi­tional PA. whereas for skill/​attribute roles, you just use the high­est applic­a­ble PA.

This is how I think it works too. TRoS added all the applic­a­ble SAs. Blade adds the most applic­a­ble SA when it is a Stat check, or the most applic­a­ble SA + 1 for each addi­tional applic­a­ble SA when it is a named Pool check.

Regards,
Ian P.
Fama nihil est celerius

Do Pas­sion Attrib­utes ben­e­fit the Sor­cery Pool? 5 years 2 months ago #1556

• Michael
Mozusuke wrote:
I believe the book says that for Pools (com­bat etc), you add high­est rel­e­vant PA +1 die for each fir­ing addi­tional PA. whereas for skill/​attribute roles, you just use the high­est applic­a­ble PA.
IanP. wrote:
This is how I think it works too.
And this is what hap­pens when you squeeze off a post with a load of peo­ple talk­ing all around you, and in a dif­fer­ent lan­guage, too. :silly: Utter mad­ness! One doesn’t even get the most basic rules one wrote one­self and is using con­stantly right! :ohmy:

Of course you two are right!

The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: IanP., Mozusuke

Do Pas­sion Attrib­utes ben­e­fit the Sor­cery Pool? 5 years 2 months ago #1558

• IanP.
I just assumed you were hav­ing a bad rule day! :)

This is a clear divi­sor from TRoS. In TRoS if you loaded all your SAs to 5 you faced the real dilemma of becom­ing far less effec­tive in the game for a long time if you did a big trade out for devel­op­ment. Tac­ti­cally, it actu­ally made sense to leave every­thing at 5 and lose any SA points earned in-​game — because you could get through most scenes with +5 or +10 dice in your pool.

Blade doesn’t have that issue — it always makes sense to develop the char­ac­ter. And that is a good thing!

Regards,
Ian P.
Fama nihil est celerius
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Michael, Phil
Mod­er­a­tors: Mozusuke, Phil, Michael
Time to cre­ate page: 0.172 sec­onds