Wel­come, Guest
User­name: Pass­word: Remem­ber me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Maneu­ver Cards (WIP)

Maneu­ver Cards (WIP) 9 months 5 hours ago #4070

• negocromn
  • Thank you received: 3
Started mak­ing them a cou­ple days ago, I have made 10 cards so far. They are in por­tuguese so my play­ers can under­stand them, but if any­one is inter­ested I can make an eng­lish ver­sion too.

Each col­ored dice rep­re­sent the acti­va­tion cost for a cer­tain pro­fi­ciency, and the num­ber in the cen­ter is the min­i­mum pro­fi­ciency level required to use the maneu­ver.

EDIT2

Fin­ished, now just need to actu­ally learn the game and test them out and correct/​edit as needed. Here are some sam­ples:

Offen­sive Maneu­vers

Defen­sive Maneu­vers

Ranged Maneu­vers

Misc Maneu­vers and Other Actions
Last Edit: 8 months 4 weeks ago by negocromn.
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Allan, Anarak

Maneu­ver Cards (WIP) 9 months 2 hours ago #4072

• negocromn
Added a card in eng­lish as an example.

Maneu­ver Cards (WIP) 9 months 2 hours ago #4073

• Anarak
  • Thank you received: 67
Legal!

Really look­ing for­ward see­ing them fin­ished, in por­tuguese or oth­er­wise.

Gotta say tho, the­mat­i­cally it fits TroS far bet­ter than BoiT as one would expect demons, boobs and swords as orna­ment rather than flo­ral vec­tors and rich col­ors. Not that its bad, mind you, on con­trary.

That said, how does the player ‘decode’ which color is which pro­fi­ciency? I guess you have a color-​coded cheat sheet some­where and that in time play­ers will sim­ply mem­o­rize it?

—-
Just out of curios­ity, which city are you guys from and how/​where you learn about the game? For­give my puz­zled excite­ment but I’ve never seen any­one else from our moth­er­land dab­ble into TroS/​BoiT before.
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: negocromn

Maneu­ver Cards (WIP) 9 months 2 hours ago #4074

• negocromn
Damn nice to find another brazil­ian, spe­cially on such a niche game. And yep, only rea­son I went for that look was that the pic­tures I found where all XVI­ish (I guess) cen­tury. It looks very “baiano” indeed haha!

We are from Porto Ale­gre, I have been using things from BotIT on other RPGs of mine for a while now, but never played it until now. We just made our char­ac­ter sheets yes­ter­day and we are plan­ning to play next week.
Last Edit: 9 months 2 hours ago by negocromn.

Maneu­ver Cards (WIP) 9 months 1 hour ago #4075

• Anarak
Bah Tchê! Of all places it had to be Porto Ale­gre aswell :blink:

Hope you guys have a blast, BoiT sure has a learn­ing curve but it plays very well once you know how it works and you have some gam­ing aides such as the one you are mak­ing.

You’re run­ning a pre-​made adventure/​campaign or are you run­ning free fol­low­ing player pas­sions?

Any­way, feel free to hit me up any­time you have a ques­tion about the sys­tem or even if you need a player or a table –Usu­ally we play around centro/​cb/​bom fim.

Cheers!

Maneu­ver Cards (WIP) 9 months 9 min­utes ago #4076

• negocromn
What are the odds!

I’m try­ing to make every­thing I can to make the game eas­ier to learn for every­one — includ­ing myself. All 4 play­ers are TCG play­ers so I’m sure they will enjoy play­ing kind of a card game within a RPG, so I decided to go this route from the begin­ning.

I’m GMing a fresh adven­ture set in the Hybo­rian Age set­ting. The game will start with the char­ac­ters adven­tur­ing into the Black King­doms look­ing to lift a curse on the fam­ily of one of them, a Zin­gar­ian prince that set up the group of adven­tur­ers. Every­one has at least one pas­sion attribute related to this first mis­sion of sorts, that should last for 45 ses­sions.

How was it like to learn the sys­tem for you?
Last Edit: 9 months 7 min­utes ago by negocromn.

Maneu­ver Cards (WIP) 8 months 4 weeks ago #4077

• Allan
  • Thank you received: 131
Hi, there is a com­bat walk­through float­ing around if that helps.
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shack­led we are bound
Free­dom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned

Maneu­ver Cards (WIP) 8 months 4 weeks ago #4080

• negocromn
Think I’m done with the cards (even did sor­cery and tokens), I will post them in a week or two for Anarak, since he speaks por­tuguese, after I test them exten­sively and cor­rect any errors. Also, I’ll post the raw paint­dot­net files so any­one can edit them with their own text, images, etc.

I’ll prob­a­bly try doing other designs too after­wards, some­thing more Blade-​like.

Edited the OP with some samples.
Last Edit: 8 months 4 weeks ago by negocromn.

Maneu­ver Cards (WIP) 8 months 3 weeks ago #4083

• Anarak
Look­ing good
How was it like to learn the sys­tem for you?
It was easy because i’ve been famil­iar with its spir­i­tual pre­quel sys­tem TroS for a long time now, but every now and then I make a mis­take, mainly because we’re not play­ing as reg­u­larly as I want to fix the rules (most of us are also nar­ra­tors and we have mul­ti­ple games going on on mul­ti­ple sys­tems, plus adult­hood) or some word­ing that is not clear.

Just some notes:
1 — I Use pan­cada as well. Its a very sat­is­fy­ing word isn’t? :banghead

2 — ‘Enlace’ is the wind­ing & bind­ing maneu­ver right? Just fix the table num­ber, it’s table 3.4 not 3.1. Also its a bet­ter trans­la­tion than mine.

3 — Do you use ‘Foco’ for lime­light? Can I sug­gest another one? We use Lam­pejo which car­ries a more sim­i­lar mean­ing to lime­light, and cmon, how often will you have the oppor­tu­nity to say ‘lam­pejo’ in your life­time? xD

4 — Good call on mak­ing every­thing a card, since we too are kin to boardgames and card games it seems much eas­ier and prac­ti­cal have every­thing as card effect in your hand. In my high fan­tasy home­brew of the sys­tem, I’m mak­ing one shot spe­cial actions (feats/​stunts/​powers/​whatever) that can have mul­ti­ple acti­va­tions and for each one the player will have a card with its effect that will go to a dis­card pile until recov­ered. But I digress.

5 — For your cards to work we need to know what the colors-​proficiency mean! If I may so sug­gest: I think sym­bols work bet­ter. There’s a fan made maneu­ver cards here that use small sym­bols to mean each pro­fi­ciency which you may take a look for inspi­ra­tion (should you switch to sym­bols).

6 — As Allan said, there’s a com­bat walk­through or two around that you might find use­ful.

7 — Regard­ing the ranged card. I know the word­ing mostly imply that you’re lim­ited to one ranged attack per lime­light but ’tis isn’t always the case. What the word­ing do say is that you don’t need to worry about reload­ing, so it doesn’t mat­ter if you’re using a flint­lock, a cross­bow or a bow, you’re always hav­ing some action on your lime­light — com­pare to some other games were a slower weapon might mean you have to sit one “turn” out. That’s pretty neat.

How­ever, the ranged rules are decid­edly not as fun or engag­ing as melee and are a bit harder to pace right. My expe­ri­ence is that I’ve had more than one case of a player find­ing ranged com­bat lack­lus­ter or fight­ing from range actu­ally a lia­bil­ity, be it our fault, the rules or both. I dunno if you have an archer-​type on your group, but if you do, he’ll quickly feel left aside if all he does is shoot once and then have to wait for the more detailed and last­ing lime­light of his fel­low melee bud­dies –with all the back and forth of rounds and exchanges-​, or worse, shoot once and then get charged and have to switch to a prob­a­bly lower melee pro­fi­ciency. So it’s up to the ref­eree to work it out to make it more fun and engag­ing: Have your guy shoot not once, but maybe twice in a lime­light, thrice if there’s the oppor­tu­nity. Maybe he has a good van­tage point or the ter­rain is bad (make the player look for such oppor­tu­ni­ties also) and he can get away with free shots more than once. IMO you gotta think of lime­lights as action scenes from action movies. Kam­bei Shi­mada in the Seven Samu­rai shoot his bow once, kills a rider, then shoot again, all in one “lime­light” in the mid­dle of a hec­tic fight. The cam­era doesn’t fix on Lego­las for his only shot: he shots one two times, move around (ter­rain check) and shoot some more THEN it goes to another hero.

Like I said, at first glance the ranged rules will not make it easy to make it enter­tain­ing as it so eas­ily does with melee, but it also doesn’t pre­vent it. You have to make the rules work for you not the other way around, even if you feel like you should stretch it (heresy?), but most of all you should use a heck lot of com­mon sense, which is the golden trump rule for blade.
Last Edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by Anarak.
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: negocromn

Maneu­ver Cards (WIP) 8 months 3 weeks ago #4084

• negocromn
Awe­some post man. I’ll use Lam­pejo, sounds nice indeed.

On the dice thing, it’s:

Longsword ===================================== Wrestling
Greatsword ===================================== Brawl­ing
Polearm ======================================= Dag­ger
Spear and Shield == Mass Weapon and Shield == Sword and Shield == Cut and Thrust

I’ll keep the col­ored dice for this design, but I’ll prob­a­bly do sym­bols like you sug­gested for the next one. Or maybe even just the num­bers, I doubt peo­ple will for­get where their pro­fi­cien­cies are after play­ing once or twice.

On every­thing being a card, I made lit­er­ally every­thing a card. I have tokens for bleed­ing, shock, pain, fatigue, and also move­ment, vision, encum­brance and reach penal­ties.

Warn­ing: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

And about the ranged com­bat, great tips. I don’t have any PC that is an archer per se, but there’s this one guy that is some sort of a noble bon vivant or some­thing (it’s got very lit­tle to do with S&S, I know lol) and he will only carry a bow around I think, with not much of a dice pool. I’ll def­i­nitely keep on eye on how things go for him so it isn’t too dull.

By the way, we were sup­posed to play tomor­row but RL fucked it up so it’s only next week. I’ll use the time to pre­pare more stuff and get used to the rules duel­ing a friend and so on. One ques­tion I have tho, do you use tens of d12s? I had 14 D12s and yes­ter­day I went to Jambô and bought another 10, but I think it still might not be enough to always have whole pools phys­i­cally represented.
Last Edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by negocromn.
  • Page:
Mod­er­a­tors: Mozusuke, Phil, Michael
Time to cre­ate page: 0.164 sec­onds