Wel­come, Guest
User­name: Pass­word: Remem­ber me

TOPIC: maneu­ver chart

maneu­ver chart 2 years 9 months ago #3402

• efre­und
  • Thank you received: 11
I cre­ated a play aid for maneu­vers. I’ve had a lot of trou­ble teach­ing Blade to new play­ers, and I’m look­ing for the best way to help new play­ers really dig into the sys­tem. What I didn’t real­ize was how much I would learn in the process!

I cre­ated a big chart. Two big charts, really, one for attacks, the other for defenses. I used the fol­low­ing columns for each:
– Maneu­ver
– Pre­req Prof
– manda­tory extra AC
– Attacker Restric­tions
– Defender Restric­tions
– Effect on Win
– Effect from QoS
– Optional Effect
– Spe­cial Effects on Reach
– Spe­cial Effects on a Tie
– I’ve Seen This Before!

Admit­tedly, it cre­ates quite a bit of wasted space, as some of those lat­ter columns only apply to a minor­ity of maneu­vers, but I found it really help­ful to cross-​compare the ben­e­fits or costs of each. I finally feel equipped to really make good choices as to which maneu­ver to use.

In Excel’s print options, if you pick land­scape ori­en­ta­tion, if you open up the “scal­ing” drop­down, and pick “fit all columns on one page”, the whole thing prints out neatly with 2 pages of attacks and 2 pages of defenses. (Actu­ally, you’ll have one row too many on the defen­sive page, so I tend to hide the row for defen­sive Halfs­word­ing, as I don’t find that too use­ful.)

The charts should be thor­ough. By that I mean, I didn’t sum­ma­rize or leave out any­thing: these charts should replace the need to ref­er­ence the rule­book. With one excep­tion and two caveats.
Excep­tion: I con­sid­ered the pur­pose and abil­ity of the Grap­pling and Winding&Binding maneu­vers to be about get­ting into a Grap­pling or W&B state, and I was thor­ough about how to get into that state, or to avoid get­ting into that state. How­ever, once you’re in that state, I con­sider that a rules sub­sys­tem, and I didn’t try to include it in my spread­sheet, and just gave a page ref­er­ence.
Caveat 1: I didn’t repeat the charts needed for cer­tain maneu­vers like Counter and Rota, and merely included page ref­er­ences. I included all of the rules, how­ever.
Caveat 2: I found some things hard to under­stand, and made some sub­jec­tive judge­ment calls. For exam­ple, I found it very unclear as to the cir­cum­stances which you were able to ini­ti­ate a Grap­ple against an opponent’s non-​primary-​arm. (I feel the rules con­tra­dict them­selves, depend­ing on which part you’re look­ing at.) So I made a judge­ment call.

Any­way, I hope this is use­ful to some­one else, and I’d love your feed­back. I take pride it my rules sum­mary being exact and cov­er­ing all bases, and I’d love another set of eyes to make sure they are liv­ing up to that high bar. Please let me know if you find that I have made any errors or omis­sions!

Oth­er­wise, I hope you find the chart help­ful your­self!

down­load Maneu­ver Chart from Gdrive
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by efre­und.
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Allan

maneu­ver chart 2 years 9 months ago #3403

• Anarak
  • Thank you received: 67
Look­ing for­ward to take a look once the down­load becomes available!

maneu­ver chart 2 years 9 months ago #3404

• efre­und
  • Thank you received: 11
Anarak wrote:
Look­ing for­ward to take a look once the down­load becomes available!
Thanks. I couldn’t get the forum upload to work, so I just edited a read-​only Gdrive link into my orig­i­nal post. Let me know what you think!

Note that the maneu­vers are spread across two tabs: the switcher is in the bottom-​left.
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by efre­und.

maneu­ver chart 2 years 9 months ago #3406

• Allan
  • Thank you received: 131
Great thanks.
I will explain why.
I have been want­ing my player to explore more of the com­bat maneu­ver options.
So a cou­ple of ses­sions ago, I did a soft (to first blood), one on one.
And last night was the real deal.
The player could either get Knighted (so he is of sim­i­lar social rank to the other per­son he had to fight) and work for a Gen­eral as his cham­pion. Or get handed over to an as yet ‘evil, maybe’, reli­gious group called The Red Right Hand (they hang a sev­ered right hand around there necks, good sign they are not good), who have taken an inter­est in the PC.

I used the Sol­dier Cham­pion tem­plate, basic plate breast armour and helm. Cut and Thrust. With the Dreaded — good aspect.
And man what an epic fight. Aaron always goes aggres­sive in fights. I really made him work hard, actu­ally started read­ing the manoeu­vres.
He got whacked for a level 4 to the face but was even­tu­ally able to turn the tide and bring his oppo­nent down.
He had PA’s fir­ing and was really pumped after.
First time in the game, where he has been forced onto the defen­sive. Lasted about 5 com­bat rounds.
So your work will be a great addi­tion as he and I, will be look­ing more closely at the manoeu­vres.

Thanks
Allan
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shack­led we are bound
Free­dom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Allan.
Mod­er­a­tors: Mozusuke, Phil, Michael
Time to cre­ate page: 0.175 sec­onds