Wel­come, Guest
User­name: Pass­word: Remem­ber me

TOPIC: My play­ers PC

My play­ers PC 3 years 1 month ago #2752

• Allan
  • Thank you received: 131
One thing I have done, to make me feel a bit more at ease with the set­ting and to pro­vide some back­ground colour, is to super­im­pose some of the pub­lished Conan RPG set­ting to Xoth.
For exam­ple Shoma, I have placed a Punt over­lay.
Azimba = Kesh
Nabastis = Zin­gara.
I was sur­prised at the easy fit.
This added lay of depth is what I needed.
Nabastis for exam­ple is now a war torn land­scape after a recent, maybe still ongo­ing civil war. Takes noth­ing away from the pub­lished Xoth set­ting.
This allows me to use some of my Conan col­lec­tion and also give a bet­ter cur­rent events feel to the set­ting.

My cur­rent sit­u­a­tion with only one player does present some added chal­lenges to gam­ing. I do need to keep this in mind as its only us two at the table
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shack­led we are bound
Free­dom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned
The admin­is­tra­tor has dis­abled pub­lic write access.

My play­ers PC 3 years 1 month ago #2760

• Phil
  • Thank you received: 133
Good job! Now just back him up! Let me explain.

First, gen­tly advise him that you need to fol­low his lead. When some­one needs talk­ing to his char­ac­ter should be the one to han­dle things. If he seems a bit stuck on what to do next then have him role play that inde­ci­sion out and offer a few choices via your npc and then step back and let him pick his own way for­ward. This serves two pur­poses: he keeps his free­dom, and two, it keeps you from being pushed for­ward into awk­ward in-​character con­ver­sa­tions with other npcs; essen­tially role­play­ing by your­self with him as an onlooker.

Pay hawk­like atten­tion to any moments where he gets inter­ested or ani­mated. If he’s con­vers­ing with an npc and starts get­ting into the moment then that npc’s impor­tance should grow. If he’s intrigued by some­thing he sees then build into that. Dur­ing these solo games this is where your fun comes from; never know­ing what comes next, and stay­ing on your toes by going with the strongest cur­rent flow of inter­est. This is also the same pot that his role­play­ing meal will come from.

My play­ers PC 3 years 1 month ago #2763

• Allan
Nice one thanks

Allan; aka Alim

My play­ers PC 3 years 1 month ago #2767

• Sly­moon
  • Thank you received: 96
Michael wrote:
Allan, I really feel your pain.

Phil and I actu­ally set up Blade for busy, adult play­ers in mind, so that ref­er­ees don’t need to do a lot of work design­ing and that play­ers can really play through events dur­ing the game instead of just prepar­ing for events. But that does of course require par­tic­i­pants who pick up on that. Play­ers don’t actu­ally need to do any detail-​establishing work dur­ing play (though it is fine if they do), just to tell the ref­eree in spe­cific terms what they are inter­ested in (i.e. phrase their PAs in spe­cific as opposed to gen­eral ways) — but if they don’t do that, if they give the ref­eree vir­tu­ally noth­ing to work with I am pretty much at my wits’ end what to do. :(

Maybe this: Speak with Aaron to rephrase his PAs in more spe­cific terms, maybe even make (sev­eral) sug­ges­tion show they could be rephrased more specif­i­cally and actively, like “Bring Low Sor­cer­ers” instead of “Dis­like Sor­cery”. I’m afraid that’s the only advice I can think of at the moment.

Aside for life, this is one of the issues that have lim­ited me from Ref-​ing any games of late. Expec­ta­tions to pro­vide a world/​framework/​backdrop/​story arcs (main and sub) and so on. I do enjoy lay­ing out skele­ton world and over­ar­ch­ing story arc (based on the play­ers /​char­ac­ter inter­ests) but Blade is not so con­ducive to do that. And hon­estly I have not had the time nor drive to start it.

My play­ers have been con­di­tions to expect cer­tain hand outs in that arena — and get­ting them rewired to prop­a­gate their own sto­ries is more than I can hope for currently.

My play­ers PC 2 years 10 months ago #3045

• Allan
Update to my play­ers char­ac­ter, for those who would like to see his improve­ments.
As men­tioned else where, with only one player, it is not always pos­si­ble to rewards lots of expe­ri­ence from PA use.
I give at least one per ses­sion.
Allan
Attachments:
The fol­low­ing user(s) said Thank You: Michael, Phil
Mod­er­a­tors: Mozusuke, Phil, Michael
Time to cre­ate page: 0.135 sec­onds